Does Christianity stifle free thought?

(Ann Ruvindi Nimna Jayakody) #1

So yesterday I was having a discussion with four people together. One was a backsliders Christian ( bordering on Atheism) , a Christian , a Hindu and a Muslim. Apart from the Christian , the three others heavily attacked the fact that there was so much religion which undermines there free will and they want logical explanations. It was a healthy discussion and I feel we ended off on a good note but I don’t feel satisfied in the sense , I don’t think they quite understood where I was coming from.

I grew up from a relatively strict and traditional home as well but my parents always gave me choices and it was because God had done so much for me , being so Good all the time no matter what , I just did not have it in my heart to leave my faith and there are so many logical and fundamental truths in the Bible , I just don’t see it in my heart to leave. But how do I say that to them. How do I use the tools and instruments I have to reach out ?

(SeanO) #2

@RuviJ Thank you for this question. To clarify the question, were your friends upset because they felt that religion is opposed to free thought? In other words, they feel that religion is ‘you have to believe X because we say so’, whereas they wanted freedom to think for themselves?

And is your response that you think that there are good reasons for believing the Bible and that God has been faithful in your own life?

Thank you for clarifying

(Ann Ruvindi Nimna Jayakody) #3

I would agree with all questions which you just asked.
The phrasing is very different but for me , the answer is the same , ultimately the truth of the matter is , there is always good in turning back to God ( Bible is the word of God ) because God is good all the time and all the time , God is goon

(SeanO) #4

@RuviJ Yes - God is good! In response to your friends, I think it is important to remember that in the Bible God invites us to think for ourselves - to discover truth - in two ways.

1 - By ‘tasting and seeing’ - by experiencing God’s goodness through relationship
2 - By examining the Scriptures and asking good questions - just like the Bereans in Acts

The God of the Bible does not ask us to throw our minds out the window when we come to faith - in fact, He challenges us to use them more and to experience His love in a real and moving way.

Psalms 34:8 - Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.

Acts 17:11 - Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

(Ann Ruvindi Nimna Jayakody) #5

Thank you , I really appreciate the response.