Does God hate Satan? Are we called to hate him as well?

Personally, I think God loves the creational being of Satan meaning his physical form, but He EXTREMELY HATES who Satan is as a creation, but if that’s so, are we called to do the same? Are we called to acknowledge that he is created by God, but hate that he does evil? I believe since Satan is all evil and we are called to hate evil, we are supposed to hate him. Your thoughts?

1 Like

Hey @ljhan40!

It sounds to me like you are thinking through some deep but good questions👍. These first couple phrases, though, raise a few questions in regards to your view of the “relationship” between God and Satan. To clarify what you stated above, how do you think God could love the creational being of Satan, but extremely hate who Satan is, simultaneously? Also, do you perceive Satan to be a physical form rather than a spiritual form?

Looks like you are coming to the right conclusion. I believe the only reason love can exist in something is if “that something“ contains some aspect that is capable of loving. God’s ultimate love for mankind tells me that He longs to see repentance and restoration between Him and us—His most treasured creation; and He has paved a way through Jesus Christ where this may be made possible (Romans 5:5-11). Therefore, we as humanity have hope!
However, I don’t see any place in Scripture that shows God’s love for Satan—the proud father of Lies (John 8:44). True love, I believe, is the opposite of hate; so my question would be, “What is the purpose for love?” If one reason for God’s love is to ultimately point and lead someone to Himself (the One Who is Love), how would this even be possible for Satan to experience, having already abhorred and despised the God of Love, standing and working in complete unwillingness for return and restoration (perhaps even if it would have been possible).

My thoughts in sum is Yes. True love (the complete opposite of hate) can only exist if God is present (1 John 4:8). And from what I see in Scripture, God has cast Satan away from His presence. Therefore, true, pure love cannot exist in or even for Satan.

Here are some links that may be of interest as well:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it! I read the article you linked me to and it was very beneficial! Just in case I got this right, I was wondering if you could check over my conclusion on this subject matter?

What I got from reading the reply:

1. Since God is all-loving, he loves all his creation even the ones who live their lives to dishonor God

2. Since he hates evil and Satan’s whole purpose is to instill evil into the world he will be cast down to the lake of fire where ultimate justice of evil will be served

3. Nowhere in the Bible does it say to love Satan even if he is your enemy, in fact, it states to resist Satan’s temptation and hate the evil that is caused by Satan and the fallen state of man.

My thought:
I believe all of this is non-contradictory in logic because like a good and just Father He brings punishment onto Satan’s deeds because he loves him while also exterminating evil in the process during the end times.

1 Like

Thank you @ChristinaLinzey for taking the time to give a good and comprehensive answer to this question. I fully agree with you. I lost my dad in a road accident during my late teens. But he is the reason I never use swear words in speech or in writing. He taught me that Satan is so evil and opposed to God and his people, and against anything good that we must never call anyone “Satan” or “devil” even as a joke.

Ephesians 6:13-17 “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”

Every time I study the full armor of God, I am reminded of the fact that there is no protective gears for our backs. In this ongoing spiritual war against Satan we have to be disciplined, prepared, watchful and alert. There is no retreat in this war. Satan will get us the moment we turn our backs.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Why did God create the devil?

@SelieVisa I am so sorry to hear of your dad’s loss! Wow, it definitely sounds like he left quite a legacy for you though. What a testimony.

This specifically stood out to me. Thank you for sharing this inspirational thought! May we continue to abide in God’s protection and love, as we seek to fight the good fight—in His armor.

3 Likes

Wow! This is some deep thinking😄 I just have to say right here that it is incredible how God and His thoughts are ultimately beyond our limited thought processes. And I do believe we must be careful, especially in this realm of contemplation and certain conclusions because of where certain ones can lead to, even unintentionally.

Say, someone brings up comments like, “If we are to be undistorted image-bearers of Christ, and He loves everybody (or even every spirit), with no respecter of persons; don’t you think we should as well (especially if it supposedly does include the spiritual being Satan)?” Or “If God loves Satan, what aspects would God love about Satan?” Hence, it could continue to lead into stickier waters trying to “read into Satan”, just to find out🤨

With that being said, I am going to pose an argument on the other side of what some have concluded about whether God loves Satan or not, and am curious to see what you think. These are some of the conclusions I personally have come to.

1. What does the phrase “God is Love“ mean?

•In this passage, the word love is translated in the Greek as agapē. The Encyclopaedia Britannica provides a definition for Agapē”, of which I believe is rather insightful:

Agape , Greek agapē , in the New Testament, the fatherly love of God for humans, as well as the human reciprocallove for God. In Scripture, the transcendent agape love is the highest form of love and is contrasted with eros , or erotic love, and philia , or brotherly love. In John 3:16, a verse that is often described as a summary of the Gospelmessage, agape is the word used for the love that moved God to send his only son for the world’s redemption. The term necessarily extends to the love of one’s fellow humans, as the reciprocal love between God and humans is made manifest in one’s unselfish love of others.

Hmm🤔…phrases that stood out to me:

”…the fatherly love of God for humans, as well as the human reciprocallove for God…”

“ In John 3:16, agape is the word used for the love that moved God to send his only son for the world’s redemption.“

•1 John 4:8 (and even 1 John 4:16) implies that God is wholly love; His nature is summed up in love. However, according to the provided definition of this kind of love—charity, agape; this is the kind of love that’s specifically related with God and mankind (the physical beings made in His image; 1 John 4:7, 1 John 4:11).

And here is when I personally see the contrast of “God supposedly loving Satan“ VS. “For God so loved the world (John 3:16)” emerge. Which leads into the next question:

2. Does the Bible specifically say “God is all-loving?

Some may differ in this point of view, and I am open to seeing Scripture that may support the other views. However, I personally see that, Biblically, it does not say God is necessarily all-loving (implying “all-loving” as every single being spiritually and physically) Yes, everything was “very good”, as Genesis 1:31 KJV states. But when it addresses God’s love, it seems to me that yes, this love was in the Trinity prior to creation and continues to be so; yet relationally speaking on the “outsiders” level, His love is poured out freely specifically for mankind—those made in His image; the ones whom His soul yearns to have fellowship with; those whom He sent His own Son to die for… all so that we might have hope, redemption, and sweet relationship in and through Him. Their are multiple passages that address His love for people, such as: Romans 5:8, Romans 8:39, Ephesians 2:4, Ephesians 5:2, and 1 John 3:1) But, I personally do not see passages that specifically imply His love for spirits. Satan is not a body, he is a spirit. Satan has attributes that physical beings have such as movement, thought, feelings, etc., but he is not a physical person, and definitely not one that was made specially in God’s own image, designed for the same amazing purpose mankind was ultimately designed for.

3. Does God love everybody?

Yes. God loves every body. And He longs for every body to turn to Him, to fall in love with Him, and to give their hearts over to His tender and loving hands. Why else would He send His only Son to die for us and redeem us from the torturous clutches of sin and the father of deception (1 John 4:18)? On the other hand, does He love every spirit? I don’t see any Scripture that says so. In fact, Ephesians 2:1-5 KJV reveals what the love of Christ did specifically for us (mankind) by paving a way from the evil one (that spirit which works in the children of disobedience). In Romans 8:37-39 it assures God’s children that nothing (not even spirits) can take us out of God’s love. I don’t believe that the reason why spirits, demons, angels, or any other form of power can’t remove us (humanity) out of God’s love is because they are recipients of His love themselves; hence, they couldn’t bring someone out of something they themselves were in. No, I believe it is because, though they would do anything to take us out of God’s love, to join them in eternal darkness without the presence of Love Himself; God’s love is the power that casts out fear and the source of abundant peace; and nothing can loosen God’s gate latch of salvation surrounded by the gates of love. In Him (The one Who is love) there can’t be darkness and sin, or the father of sin. (What would be in it for Him to love? (1 John 4:13, 1 John 4:16)

A final thought provoker would be, “What is the fruit of love?” I see a vivid answer would be sacrifice. Who did God sacrifice for? It was for us. What a miracle we don’t deserve (Romans 8:37-39 KJV)!

Hope these thoughts helped and looking forward to your further thoughts👍

2 Likes

Very amazing stuff!!! I starting to believe that God is all-loving for humans, but not for spirits who should’ve known better and have actually seen and worshipped God before the creation of man. One of the things that popped up in my head is the Book of Ezekiel where God reveals that he gave all these beautiful things to Satan, but Satan still decides to go against God. I believe this popped into my head because the Holy Spirit revealed to me how truly corrupt Satan is. I thank you for your wisdom and I hope to learn more from you!

1 Like

This is an amazing observation! It reminds me of the passage of Scripture in Mark 3:28-29 KJV and the One Who is love does not grant His love to something that contains nothing but ultimate wickedness. The evil one and his spiritual followers are definitely without excuse (Romans 1:20).

Praise the LORD that He sees His precious Son as our redemptive hope! “For God SO loved the world!” John 3:16

Glad it helped👍 Keep seeking to know Him more and more! It will be worth it all!