Does God have habits?

Hi Friends,
I was listening to a Hindi Gospel Song that really touched my heart and in many ways that song relates to my everyday struggles in my walk with God. I am thankful to God for reaching out to me through music. The song is a fervent prayer asking Lord to change me to a person that pleases him and is close to his heart. And then then the song goes on asking God to fill me with his HABITS Now this is when I start having questions in my mind.

Can God have Habits?

When I was looking for an exact meaning of habit in dictionaries, I found that they are
: an acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary
: a behavior pattern acquired by frequent repetition or physiologic exposure that shows itself in regularity or increased facility of performance
: the prevailing disposition or character of a person’s thoughts and feelings : mental makeup

The word “Habit” it self gives me a thought that it is something that we as human acquire because of our fallen nature. It is something that is not inherited but becomes part of us after we repeatedly do it. Now there can be good and bad habits that can be acquired by us as human beings. But is God subject to acquiring habits? or his very nature , essence is deeply rooted in his character that is unchangeable. Would it be right ot say, “God fill me with your habits?”

For those who know Hindi, please find the link to the song below;

Thanks,

5 Likes

@Ashishraj That’s an interesting question :slight_smile: Habits seem to be quite tightly tied to our temporal nature? Every morning we eat the same breakfast, then take the same route to work, etc. I can imagine Jesus’ may have had habits while on earth. But God Himself, being unchanging and outside of time and spirit, I can’t quite imagine what that would mean…

Hebrews 13:8 - Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

3 Likes

Yes, Sean I had the same thoughts God is outside of time and spirit…He is not controlled by habits neither does he need to have habits. His attributes and his character are the very essence of his being.

1 Like

@Ashishraj It is a really interesting question - it is just outside of my ability to know the answer to, like so many good questions :slight_smile: But that is the best I can work out from what Scripture teaches.

@Ashishraj, I agree it’s a really interesting question to pose to the community.

Is it possible that the songwriter was not suggesting habits that belong to God, but habits that God has commanded us to do? Habits he has authored for our benefit, such as:

Josh 1:8: This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. (ESV)

Luke 12:31: Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you. (ESV)

1 Thess 5:16-18: Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (ESV)

Of course there are innumerable examples.

And then there are the attributes of Jesus that we take on as we become more conformed to the image of Christ. Being more loving, living for others, being aligned with God’s will in all things. That would certainly fit the definitions you listed.

I can’t speak to lyrics in Hindi, but many English songwriters use a play on words to suggest multiple meanings. Perhaps that is the case here. Just a thought.

Is it a song that would translate well? I’d love to know the words that touched your heart.

1 Like