Does God love humans the most?

(Anas Ansari) #1

I mean r we really that precious in his eyes? Does He loves us more than anything, more than angels, or other creation or even Himself if not more but equal, does God loves us equal to Himself? Does the Bible talks about similar topics?

(SeanO) #2

@HeroGuy Thank you for that question. May I ask what caused you to ask that question? Were you reading something online or having a conversation with another person or is it something you have wondered for a long time?

I believe the key Biblical passage would be John 15, where Jesus says that even as His Father has loved Him, He loves us - how amazing! In addition, the fact that Jesus came and died for us even though we were rebels and sinners shows us the depth of God’s love for us - that is the practical demonstration of the love about which Jesus is speaking.

Does that help answer your question? The Lord Jesus grant you wisdom.

John 15:9-17 - As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17 This is my command: Love each other.

Romans 5:8 - But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world , that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Psalms 136:26 - Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever .

(Candace foster) #3

I, too, am curious about the background or reasoning behind your question. I think it is interesting to ponder.

I believe that God loves and cares for all of His creation but for us, He sent His son to die. I think that implies an extra measure of loving kindness on God’s part.

I am studying Genesis and noted again that the covenant with Noah included the animals.

Genesis 9:9-10 Now behold, I Myself do establish My covenant with you, and with your descendants after you;10 and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you; of all that comes out of the ark, even every beast of the earth

And then in Jonah…Should I not have compassion on Nineveh, the great city in which there are more than 120,000 * * persons who do not know the difference between their right and left hand, as well as many animals?"

My family lived on a farm for many years. We raised animals for meat and milk and had a few horses and donkeys-our goals were to be less dependent on big agriculture, eat better and also, to teach our children a right relationship to and understanding of God’s world.

Our children knew those animals who were ‘born for destruction’ and those who would be allowed to live. We loved them all but I clearly felt the difference in my love for the ones to be slaughtered, the animals who gave us milk or carried my children on their back…and none of that compares to the love that I have for my own flesh and blood children.

I guess my point is…from my feeble little example, I can see how God loves all of His creation, but those who He invested in with the sending of His son…those He surely loves greatly!

(Trisha Wood) #5

Since God IS love not just “loves” I don’t think He can be spoken of in terms of “more” or “less” or “most”. Perhaps we humans can define our ability or inability to love in those terms, but I do not see how it can be used in regard to our heavenly Father- Perfect Love.

(Jimmy Sellers) #6

@HeroGuy, maybe this will help a little in your understanding.

I particularly like Hebrews as a book that demonstrates not only the supremacy of Jesus, his sacrificial and priestly work but his identification with human kind. Not like an arrogant “know it all” who says step aside and watch me but as a forerunner a pathfinder who blazed a trail and goes where no man has ever gone before and done what no man could ever do.

10 For it was fitting for him for whom are all things and through whom are all things in bringing many sons to glory to perfect the originator of their salvation through sufferings.
This next verse should give you goose bumps. Jesus and those who believe are kin not only kin but Jesus is bestows the greatest honor on these believer he calls them brothers and sister of the King. This should shut the down on the question of who God loves.
11 For both the one who sanctifies and the ones who are sanctified are all from one, for which reason he is not ashamed to call them brothers, Heb 2:10-11

Now this next (see below) verse is the verse that should cause spontaneous vocal outburst and hand raising and all other method of worship!! Read it slowly.

12 saying,
“I will proclaim your name to my brothers; in the midst of the assembly I will sing in praise of you.”
(Heb 2:11–12)

• Who is proclaiming? Jesus is proclaiming!
• What is he proclaiming? Your name, believer!
• Where is he proclaiming? In the midst of the assembly! To use a modern day colloquialism “in front of God and everybody. Oh way a glorious day!
• Who’s singing? Jesus is singing!
• What is he singing? A praise!
• Who is Jesus praising? You!! Not God?? You!!

I hope this helps you sort through your thoughts on this subject.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #7

@HeroGuy, it is indeed mind blowing to think of God’s love for man according to the Bible. While God loves all of His creation, He definitely has given man a special place in many ways. He has made man in the image of God with a free-will to worship Him, something the rest of the earthly living creatures dont have ( Gen 1:26-27) . He has given man dominion over all creation, so much that the whole creation came under a curse not out of choice but because of man’s free-will (Rom 8:20) He even causes angels with higher power to serve man ( Heb 1:14).

Here are a few more verses to answer your specific questions:

God loves us more than animals
Matt 10: 31 Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Through this verse we learn that if God cares for tiny creatures like sparrows, He surely does care for us humans who are of more value to Him.

God loves us more than Himself
Phil 2: 3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus.

Here Paul instructs us to value others higher than ourselves and describes this as having the mind of Christ. In others words, just as Christ values others highly than Himself we must value others highly.

God loves us more than angels
Heb 2: 16 For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants. 17 For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.

Here, we see that God sacrificed Himself for man but not the angels.

God’s love for man does not exclude His love for rest of creation.

God cares for animals on earth

Psalm 104 : 10 You provide streams of water in the hills and valleys, 11 so that the donkeys and other wild animals can satisfy their thirst.12 Birds build their nests nearby and sing in the trees.

Jonah 4: 10 But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. 11 And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?”

Gen 9:16 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth

God has a plan to restore all creation

Romans 8:20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Many a times, I have been asked if the Christian God doesn’t love animals as He sent his Son only as a sacrifice for humans. I think this verse above in Romans is pretty clear that all creation, which includes animals, will obtain the freedom of children of God. When God saved Noah, He saved animals. When God saved Ninevah, He was thinking of saving animals. The book of revelation describes animals in heaven. So, God does love animals too and has a plan to redeem all of creation. Just as animals were cursed without a free will because of Adam’s dominion and sinful choice, they will be redeemed without having to exert their free will. Man on the other hand misused his free-will not paying any regard to the cost of disobedience - the cost of all of creation’s suffering, suffering of the descendants and suffering of God Himself. So man has a choice to make, if he wants to spend eternity with God or without Him not counting any of the costs paid by Jesus. How great is God’s love that He paid the price for people like us who cant go a day without dishonoring Him in one form or another! It’s pure higly underserved heavenly grace that allows us to receive forgiveness for our sins when we humble ourselves before Him.

Thanks for the question that made me ponder about God’s deep love for us. I hope you find it helpful in dealing with your questions.

(Anas Ansari) #8

RE: " May I ask what caused you to ask that question?"
Ya i thought of it, i think a lot of philosophical ideas and i just want to know who exactly am i to God i know im not going to fully understand his heart or atleast i dont believe that, and there are so many ways to describe things and so many ways to define meaning of life, i just want to know for this particular question am i his son (i mean he also called us servants but i understand what he mean he didnt meant in a traditional way, anyways). So ya i just want to know and understand what and who am i exactly to Him and understand the true meaning of our relationship, i guess.

(Anas Ansari) #9

re: “I, too, am curious about the background or reasoning behind your question. I think it is interesting to ponder.”

Ya i thought of it, i think a lot of philosophical ideas and i just want to know who exactly am i to God i know im not going to fully understand his heart or atleast i dont believe that, and there are so many ways to describe things and so many ways to define meaning of life, i just want to know for this particular question am i his son (i mean he also called us servants but i understand what he mean he didnt meant in a traditional way, anyways). So ya i just want to know and understand what and who am i exactly to Him and understand the true meaning of our relationship, i guess.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #10

@HeroGuy, Just a couple quick thoughts on reading your response. True that there are many definitions to meaning in life, but all definitions are not equally true and ideas dont really touch the core needs of our heart, we need a person. What is compelling is the fruit of a personal relationship with God in Jesus, the source of truth. Regarding calling us to serve, Jesus calls Himself as a servant too, its service out of love, not because of duty. The greater serve the lesser in the kingdom of heaven, exactly the opposite of what we see here on earth for the most part.

It is amazing that God who could have just called us to worship in other ways as He is worthy chose to call us His sons and brothers of Jesus proving His love.

John 1:12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God–

(Bonnie Crabtree) #11

@Jimmy_Sellers

I would like to humbly submit a different interpretation of your take on Hebrews 2:11-12.

saying: “I will declare Your name to My brethren; In the midst of the assembly I will sing praise to You.” Hebrews 2:12 NKJV

When I look at the reference in my bible it takes me to Pslam 22:22. I will start with verse 1.

My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me? Why are You so far from helping Me, And from the words of My groaning? Psalms 22:1 NKJV

This is a messianic Pslam and it is the suffering servant cryng out to God. So I take Psalms 22:22 and it’s Hebrews quote to mean that Jesus will declare Gods name to us, his brethren. I dont think Hebrews is saying we will be declared but that God will be declared.

I praise God for His lovingkindnesses to me and that He calls me friend and child. I agree with those who declare that God doesn’t just have love He IS love. By grace through faith we have been made one (united) with God. That blows my mind. I will never be God but He has commanded that we repent and come to Him and that we are to delight in Him. He is my light, my life, my peace and my joy. And know where else in the bible does it say anyone else enjoys that oneness with God. For we shall judge even the angels.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #12

@Jimmy_Sellers, Heb 2:11 to me conveys how God sees us and Jesus equally as sons and that alone shows how much undeserved value God has given us, just because of His love. I hadn’t read the last part of your post carefully earlier, I agree with @crabtreelighthouse. I think Jesus is proclaiming God and and praising God to His brethren ( or us).

(Brian Weeks) #13

Anas, I think what you wrote here is one of the most foundational questions a person can ask.

It seems to me that, in your question, you’re seeking to understand who God is and who we are in relation to him. And the reason I think this is such a foundational question is because the doctrine of God - the truth about who God is - is the most foundational doctrine there is. All other doctrines orient themselves around this doctrine of who God is. And the doctrine of man - the truth about who man is - helps us understand who we are in relation to God. But, the doctrine of God is the controlling doctrine.

Also essentially important is something else you’re asking about: not just Who is God and who is man?, but What is the relation between God and man? And I think it’s safe to say that every sin is either a result of us having too high a view of man or too low a view of God or a combination of the two. So, I think your question is one of supreme importance for us to wrestle through because the implications of it affect everything.

So, what does the Bible have to say about who God is, who man is, and our relation to him?

Who is God? God is God. He is supreme and he is the only God.

• I am the Lord, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me, that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the Lord, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the Lord, who does all these things. (Isaiah 45:5-7)

Who is man? We are creatures created by God in his image (i.e. to image him) for his glory.

• So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. (Genesis 1:27)
  • everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made. (Isaiah 43:7)

Who are we in relation to God? The Bible is saturated with commands for us to love, treasure, value, delight in, be satisfied by, and worship God more than anything else.

• You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. (Matthew 22:37-38)
  • You shall have no other gods before me. (Exodus 20:3)
  • Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. (Matthew 10:37)

And we know that God’s commands are not arbitrary. They’re grounded in his being. Meaning, he does not and cannot violate any of them. So, God has no other gods before God. God loves God supremely. And his love for sinners is not him making much of us, but rather him graciously freeing us (through salvation) to be able to enjoy making much of him. God is what our hearts most deeply long for, and in his love, God has made this possible through salvation, for his glory.

Indeed, God does everything he does, including forgive us and save us, for his glory. And he has an absolute and unwavering commitment to the supremacy of his glory.

• I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins. (Isaiah 43:25)
  • For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another. (Isaiah 48:11)
  • For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. (Romans 11:36)
  • even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace (Ephesians 1:4-6)
  • In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:11-12)
  • In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:13-14)

Jonathan Edwards put it this way:

This is . . . the difference between the joy of the hypocrite, and the joy of the true saint. The [hypocrite] rejoices in himself; self is the first foundation of his joy: the [true saint] rejoices in God. . . . True saints have their minds, in the first place, inexpressibly pleased and delighted with the sweet ideas of the glorious and amiable nature of the things of God. And this is the spring of all their delights, and the cream of all their pleasures. . . . But the dependence of the affections of hypocrites is in a contrary order: they first rejoice . . . that they are made so much of by God; and then on that ground, he seems in a sort, lovely to them.

The Bible is clear that God is supreme, and we live for his glory. God is the Creator, and we are the created. God loves God supremely and God has loved God supremely from all eternity past and does not need us in order for him to be love. Our salvation was not an end in itself, but rather, a means to his glory. We are not the center of God’s universe, God is the center of God’s universe, and we are grateful and joyful for it to be this way. And because of who he is and that he has, through salvation, made a way for us to enjoy him forever, we love and praise him. He is the supreme object of our affections and he is the supreme object of his affections. He loves us and we are so precious to him that we won’t allow our preciousness to him become our god.

God’s God-centeredness is the necessary ground of his love for us being so satisfying to us. And the magnitude of God’s love for us is in the fact that, in and through Jesus Christ, God has made a way for us to enjoy making much of him forever.

(Jimmy Sellers) #14

@crabtreelighthouse and @Lakshmismehta:
Let me further muddy my post. You are correct Heb 2:12 is a Messianic Psalm and if read and understood in context Jesus is proclaiming the name of God to the brothers and singing praise to God in the congregation of worship. On this I agree.

Because Hebrews is a letter of encouragement to a community in need of a good word and a reminder of who they were in a 1st century community of believer with a 2nd temple Jewish view of the “now and not yet” time of eschatology that is predicated on a new world to come (Heb:2:5, 6:5; 9:11; 10:1; 13:14) the Olam Ha-Ba.

With this in mind I am looking at verse 12 as a possibility as opposed to an interpretation. Again, the author (maybe Paul) was going to great lengths to make sure that the community understood that Jesus was more than just the redeemer he was the Kinsman redeemer. What is the difference? Think being in a burning building and being rescued not by a fireman or a neighbor but by your big brother who kicked down the door and ran through the flames and rescued you not just in the physical sense but in every sense with only the love that a true kinsman can show. This is much more of a connection both at the cooperate level and the personal level then an angel rescuing you or some stranger paying a fee and redeeming you like what was about to happen to Ruth before Boaz redeemed her. A kinsman-redeemer is a relative who restores or preserves the full community rights of disadvantaged family members. The concept arises from God’s covenant relationship with Israel and points to the redemption of humanity in Jesus Christ. Here are a few bullet points on a kinsman-redeemer.

• The kinsman-redeemer had to be a blood relative to have the right of redemption.
  • Kinsman-redeemer had to have the resources to purchase the forfeited inheritance.
  • The kinsman-redeemer also had to have the resolve to redeem.

If you think this through I believe that Jesus meets/met these requirements like only Messiah could. And this is to the point of the original question, Does God love humans the most? Just to make my point, how many of us remembers that Jesus never called his disciples “brother(s) until after the resurrection (Matt 28:10, Jn 20:17)?

So, what about Heb 2:12? It is still a Messianic Psalm and we know that God’s word will never change, and I have made some outlandish comments.

• Who is proclaiming? Jesus
  • What is he proclaiming? Your name believer!
  • Where is he proclaiming? In the midst of the assembly! To use a modern day colloquialism “in front of God and everybody. Oh glorious day!
  • Who’s singing? Jesus is singing!
  • What is he singing? A praise!
  • Who is he praising? You!! Not God?? You!!

Let me give some explanation on why I thought this/said this. I know God is not ashamed of me/us,

But now they aspire to a better land, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed of them, to be called their God , for he has prepared for them a city. (Heb 11:16)

We have a kinsman redeemer, we have family, we have a city.

• Do you think that it is out of line for me to think that Jesus will introduce us to the family on that great day (I will proclaim your name to my brothers)?
  • Is possible that he will do it in the new city (in the midst of the assembly)? Think getting introduced as a new believer at your church. (In my church it is done at the end of worship service)
  • Now here comes the hard part, is it possible that Jesus will sing in praise of you , not praising you, but in praise of you as the fruits of his labor like you might praise your child as a product of your life’s work?

I like 1 Cor 15:20-28 to make these points:

20 But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since through a man came death, also through a man came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For just as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in his own group: Christ the first fruits, then those who are Christ’s at his coming , 24 then the end, when he hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when he has abolished all rule and all authority and power. 25 For it is necessary for him to reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be abolished is death. 27 For “he subjected all things under his feet.” But when it says “all things” are subjected, it is clear that the one who subjected all things to him is not included. 28 But whenever all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will be subjected to the one who subjected all things to him, in order that God may be all in all .

Now think back to a Sunday morning worship and the introductions of the new believer(s), after their names is announced our preacher says a word about the individual(s) and then asks that the church vote (this is membership stuff) and in doing so we commit to disciple these new believer and then we collectively give praise to God for his mighty works and this is usually followed by spontaneous vocal outburst and hand raising and all other method of worship.

I hope this sheds some light on my understanding of Heb. 2:12 and how it what might be played out in the Olam Ha-Ba.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #15

@Jimmy_Sellers, Thank you for the further explanation. Now, I can see how it can be a possible interpretation especially in light of 1 Cor 15:20-28. So, God loves us so much that he adopted us as His sons and daughters and He not only gives us life but also allows us to share in Jesus’s authority as God is all in all. If God sung in praise of us, it could be Him praising Christ’s transforming presence in us that took us from death to life and from a place of being under authority of the evil one to being in authority. As an example of that authority, I am reminded of 1 Cor 6:3 and 2 Tim 2:12 which talk about reigning with Christ and judging angels.Wow, makes me now wonder if that was the image of God we shared before the fall. How little I have understood the horror of the fall of man and the love of God. It always amazes me to think of how God allows us to share in His glory, even here on earth through little acts of obedience. Appreciate the time you have taken to clarify.

(Trisha Wood) #16

As you know, the prayer Jesus taught His disciples begins " Our Father, Who art in heaven". I rest in the wonderful realization that by receiving the gift of eternal life through faith in the death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus I am God’s beloved daughter and a joint heir with Jesus! And you are His son and will live with Him for eternity as well as be guided by His Holy Spirit in this life if you have accepted that gift as well.