Does God still judge entire nations before the great day of judgement?

Hello Dr. Thejus,

I am currently reading “Thru The Bible” with J. Vernon McGee. To some people Mr. McGee’s commentary is outdated and to others (like myself) I tend to agree with most of what Mr. McGee says.

I am currently reading in 2 Samuel 21 where God tells David that the famine he and his people are experiencing is due to “Saul and his blood-stained house; it is because he put the Gibeonites to death.” I know this goes back to Joshua 9:14 when the Israelites did not inquire of the Lord before making a treaty of peace with the Gibeonites and later Saul breaks the treaty during his reign when he kills the Gibeonites.

Mr. McGhee writes in his commentary:
"I am of the opinion (and will you follow me now very carefully) that we are in the process of dissolution as a nation. There are several evidences of God’s judgement upon us. Let me mention several things.

Since World War II it has been our intention to be a peacemaking nation yet to live in sin. Believe me, friend, after World War II Americans started plunging into sin. Also, we could not quit fighting. There has not been a moment since World War II that our troops have not been fighting somewhere. If it isn’t Korea, it is Vietnam. It if isn’t Vietnam, it is in Europe or on some other continent . We are talking peace today as we have never talked it before; yet there is no peace. Isaiah 57:21 says, “There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.” "

My question is: Does God still judge entire nations before the great day of judgement?

Thank you for your time,

Tabitha

2 Likes

Dear Tabitha,

It is true that God in Old Testament times judged entire nations. That is because, in many cultures, it was often the practice for people from a nation to completely align themselves to the will of their rulers. Even today, in many parts of the world, it isn’t strange to observe that when a village head decides to vote for a particular political party the entire village will back him up on that decision. Or if the head of a family decides to become a vegetarian the entire family will accept the change of menu.

You must approach the texts you have quoted keeping this in mind. This helps us understand why entire nations were judged for the mistakes of their rulers.

However, even in those instances, there are outstanding examples like Rahab and Lot who were spared because they didn’t agree with the decisions of their rulers and the majority.

The same holds good even today. We all don’t agree with the moral decisions of our rulers. That is why, I believe, God will approach each situation and each person according to their relationship with Him.

Regards,
Daniel.

4 Likes

Thank you so much Daniel for your reply. That makes so much sense and I see how the will of the individual person in modern times is always put above God’s will out of selfishness and maybe mostly ignorance. It can be a scary thing reading God’s word when it’s not read in context to it’s history.

If I may, (since I just came across this verse this morning), I’d like to ask one more question in regards to 2 Samuel 23 verse 5. What does the last part of the verse refer to when David writes: “…for this is all my salvation, and all my desire, although he make it not to grow.” (KJV) Is David referring to his house, salvation or desire for God not to grow?

Thank you,

Tabitha