Does Islam Liberate Women?

uai2018
islam

(Michele Schuman) #1

What struck me most about the talk by Mary Jo Sharp was the need to reach out to Muslim women with the love of Jesus. Her information is heart-breaking. I agree that we should not use the information to evangelize. However, it does break my heart and give urgency to the need to reach all women and let them know their worth.

(Gary Johnson) #2

One thing I was hoping she would say is something that can be utilized to evangelize: namely, that the religion of Islam rejects the idea of female prophets. In the Old Testament, of the 55 prophets, 7 were prophetesses. However, in the Quran, Muhammad’s revelations state that all of the prophets are his brothers - the female prophets of the Old Testament are disregarded without any sense of concern for the slight. I think it is of crucial importance that Muslim women learn of the Jewish Prophetess tradition, and the power of the female witness in the NT. I find it odd that the whole point of the Koran is to end Jahaliyya, the age of ignorance in which Man is subject to Man made law and contrivance; yet, on the issue of women, their lot is precisely to serve Allah by being a subject to Man. Slightly hypocritical from my vantage.

(Carson Weitnauer) #3

Hi, I was puzzling over why we wouldn’t use this information to evangelize. But, I can see how the information could be thrown like a grenade to cause harm or build up walls of suspicion.

I suppose for some Muslim women, this information will be familiar to them - not academic, but lived experience of abuse. They will be likely to most want care, appreciation, and the experience of being valued as God intended for them. Hearing the good news of what the Bible says about women would seem to be a powerful message.

For some Muslim men, this information again is familiar, not academic, but lived experience. Yet, they see it as God’s truth, not as abusive falsehoods.

At the same time, for more liberal, Western-influenced Muslims, I think this information could be a reason they would want to distance themselves from Islam. It would depend on whether they have a greater commitment to women’s rights than Islamic teaching and community. If they do, then this is another point at which they would want to lessen the influence of Islam and be more open to considering a point of view that offers substantive grounding for women’s rights - namely, the gospel.

(Michele Schuman) #4

Certainly one way I will use this information is to inform non-muslim women who are considering Islam. Many of the women I work with have no commitment to a religion but consider all religions equal. It is helpful to be able to answer questions.We had a local incident with an American professor at Wheaton College who want to show solidarity with Muslim women by wearing a veil. After the incident many had questions about the difference between the religions.

(Tim Ramey) #5

@Michele_Schuman, I assume that you heard the debate on the issue of whether the Muslims and Christians serve the same God where Nabeel debated, I believe a professor from an eastern European nation. The issue came up because the Wheaton professor wore the Islamic hijab.

(Gary Johnson) #6

Here is part of the aftermath, I believe -

“There is much more to be said about the differences between the Christian God and the Muslim God, but this much can already be said with confidence: the Christian God, both in terms of what he is (Triune) and who he is (Father, Son, and Spirit) is not just different from the Muslim God; He is fundamentally incompatible. According to Islam, worshiping the Christian God is not just wrong; it sends you to Hell. They are not the same God.” - Nabeel Qureshi