Does RZIM's Statement of Faith only affirm the Catholic church?

(C Rhodes) #1

@connectmoderators
Good Evening. I thought I would not ask but the question will not go away. I wondered why in your Terms of Service the Catholic Church is affirmed in your statement of Faith. I was surprised because RZIM is an international ministry with members from all denominations and beliefs. Why would the Statement of Faith only affirm the Catholic Church? That seems contrary to the RZIM mission. Why doesn’t it affirm the Church of Jesus Christ? That designation would cover all believers of Christ.

RZIM Connect: A Moderated Community
(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Hi @cer7,

Thank you for your question!

On our main website, we explain that by “holy catholic church”, we mean:

The term “catholic church” refers to the universal church (from the Greek katholikos, which usually means “general” or “universal”). This paragraph and the preceding one are the Apostles’ Creed, an ancient Christian statement of orthodox faith, which can be traced back to approximately 140 AD. The universal church consists of all who have placed their faith in Christ.

I’ve added this explanation to our terms of service on Connect as well.

I hope this answers your question.

(Keldon Scott) #3

I’m involved in an ecumenical Men’s Ministry, and we recite the Apostles Creed toward the end of our periodic gatherings. This same question arose some time ago. Carson’s explanation is spot-on. If you search even in Wikipedia the term Catholic as opposed to the phrase Catholic Church you will see that the term Catholic was originally intended and is still today is that which refers to the universal church.

(Carson Weitnauer) #4