Does speaking in tongues prove that you are saved?

(Mia Moore Canine) #1

Hi everyone,do you believe evidence on speaking in tongues prove you are save

(Tim Ramey) #2

Because of Jesus, I am saved and I do not speak in tongues. In 1976 the Lord showed me by faith I was filled with the Holy Spirit. I wanted a manifestation to prove it but, it’s a long story, when I believed Him by faith, I changed more dramatically than I did when I came to Jesus.If He wants me to speak in tongues, I will.

(Warner Joseph Miller) #3

Hi there, Mia!! My name is Warner and that is a great question you asked. Let me submit this. So, while speaking in tongues can be AN evidence of salvation…speaking in tongues is not a necessary sign of salvation. We see in Acts that many people who became Christians immediately spoke in tongues (Acts 2:4, 10:46, 19:6) But is it a necessary sign of salvation? Nope. Consider these verses in 1 Cor. 12:

“But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another different kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues. But all these worketh that one and the self same Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.” ~ 1 Cor. 12:7-11

“Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?” ~ 1 Cor. 12:29-30

So, according to those verses, we can see that the Holy Spirit gives gifts AS HE DESIRES. He distributes them upon His people in the church as He wills.

1 Cor. 12:7-11 states that different people have different gifts, and we see in verses 29-31 that not all speak in tongues.

Paul asks the questions: Are all apostles? No. Are all prophets? No. Are all teachers? No. In other words, within the body of Christ, different people are called by God to have different gifts. If someone states that all are supposed to speak in tongues but that not all do, then are all supposed to be apostles as well but not all are? Are all called to be prophets? Are all called to be teachers? No. Likewise, not all are called by God to speak in tongues.

I hope that all makes sense. Not all speak in tongues because God doesn’t give the gift to everyone. Speaking in tongues is not THE sign of salvation but A sign. If anything, the fruit of the indwelling Spirit of God as listed in Gal. 5:22-23 is the sign of salvation.

(SeanO) #4

@Mia_Moore_Canine Good question! I think that question could have two sides and I am not sure which one you are coming from, so I will try to address both. I think @WarnerMiller hit the nail pretty much on the head and appreciate @Tim_Ramey’s testimony.

Is tongues a necessary proof of salvation?

The answer to this question is simple - no.

John Piper, in the following blog, notes a very helpful verse in I Cor 12:30 that explicitly says not all Christians speak in tongues - “Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?” It is clear from this verse that all Christians do not speak in tongues. He then goes on to point out that, as it says in Romans 3, we are saved by our faith in God - not by our works. I would add to this that the main evidence of our salvation is the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control - it is love for and obedience to our Lord Jesus Christ.

Do tongues prove that you are saved?

Again I think the answer is simple - no. But it is different from the first question and appears to be the question you are asking. The question here is - if a person can speak in tongues, is that proof that they know Jesus?

I believe the answer is no because right after Paul talks about spiritual gifts - such as tongues - in I Cor 12 - he hits us with this zinger in I Cor 13:

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Clearly, no spiritual gift is a true sign of salvation if it is not accompanied by the love of God shed abroad in our hearts.

Does that answer your question? May the Spirit of Christ be with your spirit :slight_smile: