Does the Bible support patriarchy?

Does the Bible support patriarchy, such that women are relegated to a lesser status and value than men? Are male and female roles in the Bible clearly defined into strict categories, with women being denied freedoms or privileges given to men?
Thank you!

Hi Holly! You have raised an important topic for discussion.

The Bible is revolutionary. It exalts women in contrast to the pagan cultures of Ancient Greek. The Bible acknowledges their influences and exalts their virtues which were notable examples such as that of Ruth and Queen Esther in the Old Testament.
Proverbs 31sings the praise of the virtues of this godly and talented woman.

In Genesis 1:27,5:1-2, we are told that God created male and female in His image. In other words, they are equal.

In the New Testament, Luke 8:1-3, Jesus’ disciples were women as well as men. Jesus always treats women with dignity, such as the woman in Samaritan woman and the woman caught in adultery.

Women were prominent in the ministry of the early church, Acts 12:12-15, 1 Corinthians 11:11-15. Some were praised for their good deeds and hospitality. Acts 9:36, Acts 12:12.

In Acts 1:12-14, women were praying with the apostles when the church was formed.

Women minister together with Paul, Romans 16:1-2, 1 Corinthians 16:19, Col 4:15, Philippians 4:2-3.

No doubt, women and man have distinct roles in the family, for example women’s role in child bearing. Women might not be as strong physically, as in 1 Peter 3:7 ( nkjv) and need protection and support.
Husbands are called to love their wives as Christ loves the church, Ephesians 5:25

In Christ, as New Testament believers men and women are equal, Galatians 3:28.

So in my opinion, I don’t think the Bible supports patriarchy.
God bless!

1 Like

I agree with Mui Ling Lim. The Bible has to be understood in terms of the times in which it was written. Jesus allowing Mary to learn at his feet was a truly revolutionary thing to do. Deborah was a judge over the nation of Israel. Miriam was a leader as well.

One of the great freedoms in being a woman is that we can fit in at work, as a leader in the community or church, or as a mother and homemaker; wherever the Lord calls us!

1 Like