Does the Law of Karma exist in the World?

**If the righteous receive their due on earth, how much more the ungodly and the sinner** Prov 11:31

Though Karma does not have the power of Salvation which is only through the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but going through Proverbs i find a repeated theme of “do good and you will get good in return”. Also in the New testament Cornelius was selected to have the Gospel shared to him because of his prayers and good deeds. Is there a Law of Karma instituted in the Scriptures ?

2 Likes

Hi Akshay,

This is a very interesting question and I guess it’s best to break it up a little bit.

I was looking at your name and realized it is a surname of the Maharashtra. It is an area of cultural richness so please forgive me if I leap to the conclusion you are speaking of Karma in a Buddist or Hindi concept .

I was raised buddhist my first six years and understood Karma to mean " action driven by intention leading to future consequence which in rude simplicity is where you basicially end up in the rebirth cycle… Samsara being the cycle of death and rebirth to which the material world is bound.

There is nothing in the scripture that teaches Samsara, to where humans are bound by karma in the material world in the life/death continuim. Our Lord Christ conquered the grave and made this clear. Revelation 21:4 ’ He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.’

In the scripture there is , ’ reaping and sowing. ’ There are, as you mentioned many scriptures that strongly imply cause and effect. Galatians 6: 7-8 ’ Do not be decieved, God is not mocked ; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the spirit will of the spirit reap ever lasting life. ’ But in these instances the scripture speaks not of a recurring cycle, but of life and death. Romans 6:23 ’ For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.’

Of course there are consequesces in life. I’m sure you have read about David, a man after Gods heart. We read his story and see how he suffered as a result of his sin. Yet we see how he was blessed as a result of his faith. These things we can not escape. But this is not karma, it’s life. There are rules, yet still it’s not anyhthing that applies to even a loose translation of karma. Matthew 5:45 ’ so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes the sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and unjust.’

I hope the spirit has led my words correctly and offered some explanation. Please forgive that I am very clumsy in my words quite often. Also I am led to offer Ecclesiates 3-1 For ever thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die. ’

And there we end forever, except for Gods love and his son, our Lord Jesus. John 3:16. For God so loved the world he gave his only son that those who believe in Him shall not parish, but have eternal life. ’

Blessings
~Sanah~

4 Likes

Dear Sanah,
Your reply was indeed helpful and insightful. Apologies for not being more specific, I was not referring to Samsara here as you would know that Samsara means different things in different eastern religions. Hinduism and Jainism view Samsara differently than Buddhism. However i was talking in the colloquial sense " What goes around comes around". I know that Grace and mercy are found for those who are in Christ, but what about those of the world who don’t know Him? Do they find themselves in this cause and effect cycle. The concept of birth and re-birth is clearly discounted in scripture as expounded by Hebrew 9:27: " It is appointed unto men to die once and their after judgement"
You see most born under the eastern religious teaching talk about Karma in everyday life, this is in fact their basis of trying to live a good life. if you do good, then you can expect that you will have a good life. My question is that does such a rule exist in the world ? and does the bible point to it ?
I guess what the majority of eastern religious practitioners are caught up in is actually “reaping and sowing”. This on the surface level is similar to the cause and effect of Karma.
Regards
Akshay

1 Like

Hi again Akshay,

I assumed you were very well versed in such being I took a leap of faith because of your name which I knew you would kindly correct me on if being mistaken. ( that sentence is totally a run on so just breath deep if you repeat it! ) It is true! Yes, my mother was Buddhist, my father converted from Hinduism, and their parents were Muslims! Oh the world goes round and round.

Which still leaves us with your most interesting question. Still it is the same. Matthew 5:45. …

So tell me more! where are you from? What led you to ask this particular question? You seem extremely versed and I would love to talk to you about the ways of my culture from long lost now. Just to better understand who I am talking to when I am talking to someone, kinda like you. :slight_smile:

Blessings,
~Sanah~

Dear Sanah,

You were bang on about my origins including the state to which my father belonged to. I don’t stay in the land of my forefathers so to say, but I am very fascinated by religions and how to be able to defend my faith. Though I am still surrounded by people of all cultures and religions, by the looks of it you have a way more diverse background, pretty much all major religions are covered :blush:

My reason to ask the question was to be able to clearly distinguish between ideas which on the surface look similar but are intrinsically very different in various religions and Christianity. Karma is a word which is used by people all over the world and is used in popular secular songs and known by all ages and cultures, however what does doing “good works” mean according to the bible and how is it different or similar to how the world views Karma.

There are of course more questions but they are for a different time I guess.

Warm Regards

Akshay

2 Likes

@akshay807, I too have asked this question previously. Briefly, I think there is no guarantee of good things happening to good people whether we are christian or non-christian in our earthly life. Our hope for justice for our actions or other’s actions is not in the temporal world but in eternity. As Christians we have the promise that in all things God works for the the good of those who are called according to His purpose (Rom 8:28). Its important to keep in mind how “good” can mean different things to different people as you have also alluded to. For example: God may use extreme suffering (bad in the temporal sense) to help us know Jesus more and turn many people to Christ even at the cost of our own life. In the example of Cornelius, he was being faithful to the general revelation given by God and so more good came to him, where God sent him specific revelation of Jesus. In contrast, when people reject the gospel, they get slowly hardened toward it. For a Christian, there is no goodness apart from God. So the principle of sowing and reaping I think applies this way - When we sow according to God’s will, we open the doors for God’s grace to operate in our life and if not, we lose it. If someone chooses to go after other idols, be it religious or non-religious, they reap the consequences of their unrighteousness. Let me give an example: In the Old testament, we come across many verses where God prohibits marriage of His children - the Israelites, with those who follow after foreign gods. When they went after foreign gods, God brought judgement on the Israelites despite some keeping of the law such as the new moons / Sabbaths. In India, we still see people following a similar marital law but God is most often not in the picture. Following a law apart from faith in God does not promise His grace in our lives. God only gives His grace to those who humble themselves before Him.

Here’s another discussion along these lines on Connect:
Christianity goal and Karma goal

I hope this helps. God bless!

3 Likes