Does truth exist in Hell?

God is Truth. And if Hell is a place of separation from God (Truth), how can truth exist in Hell? And if it cannot, that means nothing about you can be true in hell, including that you are there. Thoughts?

This is why I partially believe in more of an eternal destruction idea of “hell”. Because existing apart from the truth is a nonsensical statement. How can it be true that you exist apart from truth?

4 Likes

I am not sure I follow your logic here.

Are you saying:

P1 God = Truth so that Truth = God
P2 God cannot exist in Hell
C Truth cannot exist in Hell

I would challenge your first premise. There are lot of things which are true that I would not equate with God. Evil being one such example.

The other would be following your logic you wouldn’t be an annihilationist, it seems you would deny Hell altogether. Because the phrase, following your logic, would imply “it is true that Hell exists” would ipso facto imply Hell is a part of God as it exists in the category of truth.

Am I missing a piece of your reasoning?

4 Likes

Robert
Does truth exist in hell? is an interesting question, but I believe it starts with a presupposition that something can exist separate from God which is a contradiction to the Nature of God and Creation.

Hell is described in Scripture as a definitive place in creation. Consequently as it is a created place - it was created by God. Being created by God by its very nature of being created it must contain at least in part the Truth of God.

So what is Truth in Hell. The primary Truth of Hell is the fact that it witnesses by its existence the Truth that a Just God exists. Scripture states that ALL will be brought before the Judgement Seat of God. As Mat 25:31-46 says God will divide the sheep from the goats. Consequently many believe, as I do, that for all the suffering that exists in hell, the pinnacle of that suffering is that those there will have full knowledge of the existence of God and His Nature limited only by their capacity to understand as a created being AND that they will exist forever totally separate from God. Some believe that Hell is actually a place where the Fire of God’s Love is forever purifying sin from the being of those that are there.

So my answer would be emphatically YES. Truth does exist in Hell.

Hopefully this is some food for thought.
Dan

4 Likes

Joshua
I also answered this post and would appreciate your comments on my post. My answer is somewhat different in its approach than yours. However it seems we both agree that the initial presupposition is very weak at best.
Dan

@rla9316 I would agree with @Joshua_Hansen that this argument does not hold. Even in this life, God is not fully present in every location. In the Old Testament God dwelled in a special way in the tabernacle and now His Spirit lives in us. We are not pantheists, so the idea that God could have a place of punishment where His presence does not reside does not seem unreasonable to me in any way.

However, I think you will find there is strong Biblical support for annihiliationism quite apart from this argument. I highly recommend Steve Gregg’s book examining all three views of Hell that have historically found support within the Church. It is an excellent opportunity to consider this topic in more depth and to take a good, honest look at the exegesis that leads to the various conclusions so that you can prayerfully seek the truth on the issue.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think y’all are right about the initial supposition was weak. I appreciate the feedback and Im glad there’s a place I can bounce tough questions around.

1 Like

I see we now have brought annihilationism into the discussion. Annihilationism in my understanding is the position that those who are condemned to hell actually cease to exist.
I would be interested in the Biblical Basis of this position as I simply do not see it when Scripture is taken as a whole. While some claim that annihilationism has been purported back to Ignatius of Antioch, I believe they are stretching these early texts when they say they support annihilationism.
Generally I have found that those who hold to position come from one of two positions.

1. A semi-universalism that holds that a Merciful God would not condemn a being of His Creation to unrelenting suffering.
  2. The annihilation of a being from creation is a far greater punishment than eternal suffering.

Both of these positions suffer from several points concerning the very Nature of God in my opinion. The main concern I have is that I have is that Scripture clearly teaches that God has no repentance when He Creates. (Yes I know of the Scriptures that intimate that but they are taken out of context) God in His Perfection by Definition cannot create something that is by His design is to exist forever and then eliminate it. It would be contradictory to the Nature of an Unchanging God. If annihilationism is taken to its logical conclusion, you would have to hold that Angels and Mankind are not immortal as you cannot have some of these beings mortal and subject to annihilation and some immortal and not subject to annihilation.

Generally Annihilationism is connected at least in part to Universalism. It is an effort to say that all who exist will in end up in heaven with God or simply cease to exist.

Remembering that Jesus always spoke of hell as a very real place of suffering. I think Annihilationism is a subject if discussed should be done as a separate question.

Obviously I have some passion about this subject. Love you All
Dan

1 Like

Hello Robert!

I’m curious, what sparked this question? Why are you asking this?

Hi Mike,

Honestly I was just thinking and it was an interesting question to me. Nothing really sparked it but I realize it’s a question that challenges traditional orthodoxy so I would never go around trying to spread it. But I wanted to ask because it was in my head and I wanted to make sure it was/wasn’t valid.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Robert. It is an interesting question, even if just out of curiosity.

The after life is something I don’t like to speculate about too much, but Jesus’ teaching of the Rich Man and Lazarus in Luke 17:19-31 comes to mind. I can see elements of truth being implicitly present in these passages. For example:

• At the most fundamental level, knowing (and experiencing) the truth between Heaven and Hades causes the Rich Man to cry out for help.
  • The Rich Man knows the truth that he is separated from God (the “great chasm” that cannot be crossed)
  • The Rich Man knows the truth of the scriptures (he references “Father Abraham”)
  • The Rich Man knows the truth about repentance (he asks Abraham to send someone to warn to his family)
  • Abraham explains the truth of the situation to the Rich Man.

In short, Hell itself bears witness to the truth present in Heaven. Dan responded with similar comments.

By the way, my observations about truth in this passage don’t need to be valid, and certainly don’t change the central points of Jesus’ teaching. So, feel free to just discard them if not helpful.

I would have to say I skew towards @SeanO’s position concerning the omnipotence of God. Without God being absent from a place many passages from the Old Testament seem to lose their meaning and the command for the goats and those whose hearts are far from God being told to depart from God seems to no longer make sense. Concerning annihiliationism, I have read a little bit, I have a lot more to do, but I must say I do not, at this time, find it convincing.

1 Like