Drinking wine and water in Timothy

I was wondering if this verse in 1 Tim 5:23 is a specific admonition to a particular person or in general advice? paraphrase- “stop drinking only water and use a little wine bc of your stomach and frequent illnesses.” I am reading through the Bible and little things like this are popping out at me!

1 Like

Hi @plantaseed, I’ve always seen it as specific to Timothy, because it addresses his issues (but we can glean wisdom from good advice anytime): red wine is rich in antioxidants, so you can’t go wrong there. Keep in mind that God speaks against being drunk, or addicted to wine (i.e.excess).

So there could be things, addressed to specific people, to do specific things, at specific points in time (i.e. the disciples who had to get the colt Jesus rode on’, and none of us are ever gonna do that again), but from others you can draw wisdom, like 1 Tim 5:23.
Obviously, if you are allergic to wine, then it’s not good advice for you. Cheers!
ps. I don’t drink, but there is nothing wrong with drinking…

1 Like

Kathleen, it’s specific to Timothy. btw, I’m sure I’ve never tasted wine as excellent as that which Our Lord at the wedding made from water.

1 Like