Elijah’s discouragement 1 Kings 19: 4-14

There is this myth that Christians float on air…are always blessed and never face discouragement…your thought’s?

2 Likes

@Taylorava. It does seem to be a myth often used to be dismissive of a life that honors GOD. But I always think, “who could ever equate ease or “air floating” with living in the human body.” In my immediate family, it is used as an excuse to not pursue GOD. I am related to the original “I will serve GOD when I get finished living,” people. But that joke is on us. That we could conclude that living ever occurs outside GOD’s purview.:smile:

This particular myth might be fun if not for the tears, the stresses, the heartaches, even the joyous moments. Facing discouragement is a part of living in this world. But being blessed is an assurance when I learn to continuously cast my cares at His feet.

So, the myth is partially true when I remember my need for the Lord. When I don’t try to walk in my own strength. When I live in true relationship with GOD as I strive to do in any relationship I cherish. The discouragement and grief may come, as it will but it is okay. GOD is faithful.

Loving GOD is the cumulative effect of a feel-good song. Like, "when you walk through the storm, keep your head up high. And don’t be afraid of the dark.: Or the song that rolls in my heart even as I write. “I need thee oh I need thee. Every hour I need thee. Oh bless me now my Savior I come to thee.”

That is the wonderful secret of walking with the Lord. It looks easy when you learn to not walk alone.

(You Never Walk Alone, 1945 Rodgers & Hammerstein. I Need You, 1872-73 Composer Annie Sherwood Hawks. Addition of refrain by Mrs. Lowry Doane.)

3 Likes

Thank you for your honest response. My assessment is Christians struggle, hurt, get angry…get disappointment…even experience deep depression and sadness…this is what 1 Kings 19:4-14 expresses to me.

I don”t walk on a cloud, I don’t float…but it is hope, hope that sustains me through many …disappointments…grief from lost of love ones. I find in God that no matter how difficult the journey may get, I will be restored, I will be strengthen.

Too often sometimes Christians, not all …do not represent a true picture that’s based in reality. Some not all wear false faces, yes…this also is seen in my family…which is a false mask, and often has deep seated anger and resentment concealed to avoid conflict…many Christians hate conflict…Some do not know how to handle conflict or deep depression…many feel as if to admit this means they are not true Christians…

My prayer is Christian break this false narrative on what a true picture of what a Christian looks like…no we don’t float, but we have hope.

2 Likes

That myth would have to deny these literal words of Christ.
John 16:29‭-‬33 NKJV His disciples said to Him, “See, now You are speaking plainly, and using no figure of speech! Now we are sure that You know all things, and have no need that anyone should question You. By this we believe that You came forth from God.” Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

I have have heard it said this way, a faithful loyal soldier is in a battle. Preparing for one, in one, training for the next one. They will find themselves in one of these three places.

One of my key take aways in the Elijah story is that he left Gehazi his servant and went off alone. We should not be a lone wolf in our walk with the Lord.

2 Likes

John 16:19 - 20. Jesus saw that they wanted to ask him about this, so he said

to them, “Are you asking one another what I meant when I said, ‘In a little while

you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me’? 20I tell you

the truth, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy.

Another awesome thing to point out…even though Elijah was alone God ministered to him, looked after his needs and then told him him to get up and finish God’s work.