Emotions

Hi friends! Just wanted to seek some recommendations or advise on how to deal with emotions biblically ( other then proclaiming things over your life). Bible references or resources would be greatly appreciated.

6 Likes

Hello @Vboitchenko

Great question! Let me share a brief response and a resource recommendation

In Ravi’s book, Cries of the heart, he dedicated one of his chapters dealing with the emotion. The chapter entitled, “The Cry To Feel My Faith.” In there, Ravi gives three ways to deal with our emotion in alignment to the Scripture.

1.) Outward Look - through this way, we realized that God created us as being with emotions. Our actions and response to circumstances that reflect our emotions.
2.) Inward Look - in this way, we examine ourselves to which why we feel that kind of emotion. Like the jealousy of Saul to David, like the denial of Peter when Jesus said He was going to die, like Jonah in regards to God’s mercy on thier repentance, like David in temptation to Bathsheba, etc. There has to be a reason why we have that kind of emotion in the first place.
3.) Upward Look - in this way, we come to the position where God speaks to us and we humble ourselves to listen. To know that God knows and cares for our emotion, but at the same time invites us to deal with it in His way and in alignment to His words.

For further explanation, I recommend you to grab the book, Cries of the Heart. Or listen to this podcast, a sermon Ravi gave about the emotion and faith.

I hope these answers help!

2 Likes

Hi Vicki, this is a good question. I can share my experience with you. As someone who really loves the Lord, I found myself for many years unable to deal with a horrible problem of anger and rage. It was affecting my children. I couldn’t understand it. I loved the Lord, I wanted to do the right thing and yet I kept falling into this sin of uncontrolled anger, it was awful. One day I came in complete brokenness before the Lord and said ‘Father, you’ve got to help me. I don’t want to be like this. I really love you and want to please you. I’ve tried repenting, I know it’s wrong. Please show me what to do’. I felt I heard the ‘still small voice’ of God telling me to read 1 and 2 Samuel. I was a bit perplexed, but I said to God ‘ok’. As I was reading it, God spoke to me and said ‘You are like King Saul’. I wasn’t thrilled to hear this. I don’t mind being compared to King David - but Saul? God went on to say to me ‘His underlying problem was a deep root of fear. He was fearful from the moment he was called, hiding himself away. He never believed I would really come through for him, which is why he kept talking things into his own hands. The fear in his life was the underlying problem leading to his anger.’ I was thinking, 'So what’s this got to do with me?` God said to me ‘You’ve never really talked to me about what happened to you as a child.’ My response was ‘Well, I guess not. Bad things happen to people and you just get on with life’ . He then said ‘I want you to go back through all of your traumatic memories with me, describing in detail to me how you felt at the time and then releasing repentance to the people involved’. I couldn’t really see the point in doing this - but I was really desperate and I wanted to be obedient to God anyway. So, I went through every traumatic childhood memory I could think of together with God, identifying how I had felt at the time and confessing it to God: ‘I felt scared, Father, I felt unprotected in my own home’, etc. I also forgave the people involved.
And I kid you not - OVERNIGHT I was healed of my anger problem, and it has never come back. I hope my story helps you in some way. God is keen to help us sometimes we really have to listen to his still small voice :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your thorough response. This helped a lot !!!

1 Like

Wow!!! Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. God bless you

1 Like

Hi Vicki! There are so many Bible verses dealing with emotions and I’ll share some but if you do an internet search with your question you’ll come up with a lot of helpful verses. It is just so encouraging to me to read so many verses in the Bible on a specific topic. It really reminds me that God certainly does care when seeing so many on emotions. :slight_smile:

Here is a link to one of the results that I came up with when searching for Bible verses about emotions:

https://www.openbible.info/topics/emotions

“A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭29:11‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭15:18‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭4:6-7‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:16-24‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭3:4‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah”
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭4:4‬ ‭ESV‬‬

1 Like