End times bible prophecy relevance today

(Tony Hacker ) #1

Hi everyone, what’s your belief on bible prophecy being relevant today? Do you think the church in general focuses on this topic too much or too little. Do YOU believe we are in the last days? (I know we’ve been in the last days since Jesus ascended, but I mean the last of the last, like it could happen in our generation or the next)

(Caleb Eldridge) #2

Good question. I think that the Bible in its entirety is just as relevant today as it was then, and it will always be relevant. I think that many churches today focus almost primarily on the New Testament and never really explore prophecy and the end times (maybe because of just how complex it is to study, but just a thought). I think we are always in the last days, and we never will know when Christ is coming again. Today is closer than yesterday was. For this reason, we should always be prepared to deal with the end times which is why I think the Church as a whole should spend time talking on prophecy.

(Kier Delambaca) #3

Hi everyone, what’s your belief on bible prophecy being relevant today?
I agree with @calebeldridge, God’s word is always relevant.
Just like this verse from Isaiah: “Shake the dust from yourself; arise and sit, O Jerusalem.” (ISAIAH 52:2).
There are a lot of archeological findings in Jerusalem right now, one of the best is the Pool of Siloam
(http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6750670/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/archaeologists-identify-traces-miracle-pool/#.XEFRU80RU2w). Jerusalem is still shaking its dust even today so that thru archeological findings it may arise and sit.

Do you think the church in general focuses on this topic too much or too little?
Let me define the Church first. The Church are true believers of Yeshua regardless of their race, nationality and denomination.
It is impossible for the Church to focus in this too much or too little since the spirit of God is within them who guides and discern.

Do YOU believe we are in the last days? (I know we’ve been in the last days since Jesus ascended, but I mean the last of the last, like it could happen in our generation or the next)
What do you mean the last of the last? the last week of the 70 sevens prophecy in the book of Daniel?
I’m not an expert in Bible prophecy, so the best thing for me to do is to encourage you since I see a little anxiety from you (correct me if I’m wrong).
No one knows the exact time when it will going to happen as it is written in the book of Matthew 25:1-13 in the parable of Ten Virgin Jesus said "Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour".
Being alert means you have to be able to discern our time right now versus the prophecies in Bible and you can’t do that on your own.
You need the spirit of God to discern just like the 5 virgins who took oil with them “Five of them were foolish, and five were prudent. "For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them,
but the prudent took oil in flasks along with their lamps.”.
I’m aware of the different interpretations out there but I challenge you to seek it for yourself with the guidance of the spirit of God. He will guide you into truth and truthful people.

(Tony Hacker ) #4

I agree 100%. All the bible is relevant and will always be. It’s the eternal Word of God.
And as we draw nearer to the day of the Lord, prophetic bible signs in my opinion become even more relevant than ever.
We can never know the exact day nor hour, many give this verse 100 percent backing (which I do too as we should ALL scripture)while neglecting or giving less weight to other verses like Matthew 24:32-33 NASB — “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door.
Both are God’s Holy Word and both go together.

Thanks for your prayer, and I have a great teacher and mentor and i’m always asking the Holy Spirit to bear witness in the Word and with others cause I know we need each other.

(Kathleen) #5

Hi, @SpiritfilledBerean! Another thoughtful question for pondering, thanks so much! :slight_smile:

Totally in agreement with everyone’s thoughts on the relevance of the Bible in our modern lives. God still speaks to us today though His Word, and we are transformed by interacting with Him through His Word and in prayer. So, yes, as certain prophecy is included in the canon of Scripture, we ignore it to our detriment.

I grew up in a tradition that preached from, taught, and studied the FULL Word of God, so I’ve heard my fair share of sermons both from the major and minor prophets of the OT as well as Revelation. But while we recognised the parallels between the days of the prophets and our modern day (and the lessons we glean from them), there wasn’t necessarily a focus on finding FULFILLMENTS in the modern day. Does that distinction make sense? That is, the teachers would focus on things that could be known and gleaned from prophecy (esp. how Jesus was ultimately the fulfilment) and would generally steer clear of the intense speculation that comes with trying to nail down how future events would come to pass. Though we can know a number of things via prophecy, I believe that we do not have enough knowledge to totally understand its full meaning this side of the new heavens and new earth. That is, because of its often symbolic, cryptic, and partial nature, it can be difficult to fully grasp.

Oh, how I would have liked to have been at the meeting where the recently-resurrected Jesus, ‘beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself’. (Luke 24) I can’t imagine how Jesus blew the minds of those first-century Jews! :exploding_head: And I look forward to the day when we get to look at the full picture.

As for when Jesus will return, I am not inclined to think it will happen in my generation. Though I do think the western (esp. American) Church needs to brace for a foundation-shaking, refining period. I think God is about to do a work in us (and through us), and it may not be very pretty at first!