Enneagrams what is it

Ive heard about enneagrams and wondering if they’re not a good thing.

2 Likes

The Enneagram is a personality paradigm that has it’s origins that are thought to have an oral root in the Sufi tradition, but this is unclear. It was brought to the US via Gurdjieff in 1915 as a human development system.

It has been developed and is quite remarakble in many schools of thought and utilized across the board in business and churches alike… It is not a religion, a philopsopy, or a cult. It is a tool much like all personalitiy paradigms.

Without discounting it’s value in the secular world, I would re-direct the growth of our person to the Holy Spirit, and the Word of God. We don’t need these tools: When we totally emerse ourselves in our Lord. All growth and personality flaws are addressd in the scripture. And also… in the scripture is addressed the road to redemption.

This is we confess our sins, ask for forgivness, and ask our Lord into our life as our savior and redeemer.

Then we follow through surrendering our life to Him. He will lead us, and we will not need Enneagram, Myers Brigg, or any psychological tools.

Let us ask our Father of our shortcoming, and pray for our healing and restoration in His word and Love.

John 3:16 ’ For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in shall not parish, but have eternal life. ’

Blessings,
~Sanah~

4 Likes

Hi Betsey,

Thank you for your inquiry. Below are a couple of previous posts that can give you some more information on this subject.

Is the Enneagram personality test an acceptable Christian practice?

Enneagram, is it biblical?

I hope these are of help to you.

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

3 Likes

@Betsey, in my opinion, psychological tests have some value, though limited. They’re educational tools to help us better understand our natural tendencies, weaknesses and strengths. The danger is in putting too much value on them and seeking them as a solution to our problems. They do help in educating us on what makes us tick as unique individuals. I have found them to be helpful in understanding myself, my coworkers and other relationships. I have heard the enneagram may have its origins in the occult though so that makes me hesitant to use it (it also is quite complex and I think not as meaningful as other models). I don’t think that’s true with regards to the mbti though some discount the mbti as faulty. For me, the mbti personality test was helpful. But like @sanahdalah15 said only the Holy Spirit and the Word of God can truly change us, and in the end only God knows us truly and deeply (Psalm 139). When we pray to be made more like Christ, He answers those prayers.

2 Likes