Entry points for conversation to deep philosophical ways of thinking?

(David Vermaak) #1

Hi guys,

Saw a post of a friend of mine which I’ll paste below. Interested to see fellow growing apologists assessment and insight on this and starting points to address this way of thinking:

“Awareness trumps observance

Often we think of becoming the observer - Non identification with doing. This observer-notion creates another identity for the ego. A state no more far-reaching than an unconscious attachment to one from which liberation is sought. Although useful, the observer notion can be an all consuming mind loop. This is not to say that it should be relegated. Far from it.

In steps awareness…

Awareness offers a playing field for doing, being and observing. Whilst each of these three render great learning possibilities, awareness holds no judgement over the game being played on the field. The end score is not the ultimate point of arrival. There is no ultimate destination, only relative moments of perceived stasis and movement. It is awareness (it is YOU) that is the space in which all these states find themselves arising.

Just love“

Let’s Stop Pretending Christianity is Actually Relevant, Okay?
(SeanO) #2

@David_Vermaak Thank you for letting us process your friend’s post with you. I am going to have to ask you if we are on the same page with what his post means before going forward.

To me, his post says that rather than observing and judging the world around us, we should simply be aware of it and appreciate it. When we stand in the position of observer, our pride causes us to be judgmental and we cannot detach ourselves from the situation.

It sounds like his goal is to achieve ‘liberation from the self’ - is he Hindu or Buddhist? Is he drawn to any particular Eastern philosophy? They teach our problem is attachment to this world and he seems to be advocating awareness and appreciation as a means of achieving detachment versus observation and judging that lead to attachment.

Is that in the ball park?

(David Vermaak) #3

@SeanO, I’m not sure what to think man, the more I look into what he’s following the less i know😉

Saw that him and 60K odd people are part of a group called “Galactic Federation of Light” and it seems to stem from that…

(SeanO) #4

@David_Vermaak I do not have a lot of experience with it, but I would say that is definitely part of the New Age movement and maybe even the occult? They appear appear to believe in hidden knowledge through contact with supernatural beings via telepathy, which is a characteristic sign of the occult. I have attached an article below that I thought was helpful as a beginning to trying to reach someone in these activities. The New Age movement is a grab bag of religions and therefore each individual may practice it differently.

I think it is important to remember that the accuser masquerades as an angel of light and that your friend will see it as something that is beneficial for him. As the article points out, the first step is much prayer against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens in your friend’s life and then to listen and love to understand how deep he is in it and what he really believes.

2 Cor 11:13-15 - For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

http://www.equip.org/article/witnessing-to-people-in-the-occult/

May the Lord Jesus break any power the enemy has over your friend and give you wisdom to know what role God wants you to play in his life right now. Lord Jesus, give David insight and wisdom into his friends beliefs so that over time he can show him to love of God that surpasses knowledge in Christ.

Is that helpful? Do you have any further questions / ideas that you would like to explore? Anyone who has more experience with the New Age movement please comment :slight_smile:

(Jacob Cheriyan) #6

I do agree that many of the points laid down on the website does sound ‘New Agey’ and it is difficult to clearly define what the New Age is all about. If you primarily mean a hotchpotch of religious ideas and worldviews then this definitely comes within the bracket. The blogs use Buddhism, Martin Luther king, Gandhi and many others to push their ideology.
However New Age is much more than just that. I am attaching a document which can help shed light on the different characteristics of the New Age movement. It has been collated from different sources. I can give you the references later if you are interested.

(SeanO) #7

@Jacob_Cheriyan Perhaps you could share more about the specific aspects of the New Age that you see in the Galactic Federation of Light and how you think we could reach out to those who are attracted to these systems of belief with the love and truth of Christ?

(David Vermaak) #8

Thanks for all the info guys!

I’ve been insanely busy and have sat in 16 hours of lectures across last 2 days, 10 hours tomoz, so when I have a gap I’ll go through this.

Appreciate all of your rich insight and your heart for the lost!

Love in Christ,

DV.