Ephesians 3-10

Can any one expound on the “rulers and powers in the heavens”
I assume this refers to angelic beings?
This question came up at Bible study Wednesday evening as we were reading Ephesians 3

1 Like

You might like the Bible project videos on this subject (not the verse but the powers).

It is a subject that is gaining some traction in today’s conversations. It is not without the usual ambiguity. If you are interested in a more detailed look at the subject here is a link to the leading proponent of this view of the divine council as a theological study, Dr. Michael Heiser.

Would be interested in comments and thoughts.

2 Likes

Thanks! I will definitely look into these :slightly_smiling_face:

I just downloaded the audiobook. “The unseen realm.” Anxious to get started listening. In all honesty, the into scared me a little but I want to listen and hopefully it ends with the profound teaching I anticipate.
It was me who asked the question in bible study. The teacher read right past it and only one person understood why I asked but no one had an answer. Thank you again :pray:

Hi @sig, you may find your answer in the following chapter. Ephesians 6:12.

12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

One of the few misconceptions most Christians have is that demons and satan live and stay in hell. There is a concept of prison, purgatory I think that has locked up most devils. And there is a realm of the dead, sheol where all mortal has died goes there to await judgement day. The hell we used to imagine with burning flaming lava land ruled by a horned tailed creature carrying a trident is pagan mythology.

Therefore in this concept, there is no hell. There’s only heaven and earth. All spiritual beings originated from heaven.

Ephesians 3 verse 14 For this reason I kneel before the Father,
15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name

God the Father is the progenitor.

1 Like

@sig this is indeed referring to Satan and other demons, which we have power over in the name of Jesus. I am quite drawn to the deliverance ministry and have battled these powers in both the spirit and at many times when they have manifested in people also.

Some other good spirits we hear mentioned in the bible are angels, cheribim and seraphim. My understanding here is that they serve different purposes. If you recall Jesus’ comment to the centurian in Matthew 8:9-11 when he discusses a command structure, Jusus marvels at his faith.

We also learn that the dead can be called back in spirit form in 1 Samuel 28, but this really challenges my understanding.

We are spirit too and currently we have a body.

1 Like

Thank you @Kenny_Chen
I’m an listening to an audiobook by Michael S. Heiser, “The unseen realm.” I found it through a link @Jimmy_Sellers shared. Already my mind is blown. And part of the scripture you quoted in __Ephesians 3:15__would line up with what the author is saying. I was taught that before the foundations only the Trinity existed. Boy, if God pulled back the curtain on the unseen world, we would be awe struck and terrified!
@Jimmy_Sellers I am trying to wrap my brain around it and I am fascinated by the many interpretations of Elohim. At first (when I listened to the sample of the audiobook) I thought the author was endorsing pantheism. That is why I said it scared me. I started to study Hebrew last year. I got as far as the Alephbet but did not continue. There is sooooo much in the letters. I am inspired to pick it up again.
And @brianlalor, God bless you brother, that is definitely a calling and I’m sure you have many intense stories.
I am looking for a church home. I desire deep teaching. Would you please lift my husband and I up in prayer?

@sig by the way I highly recommend C.S. Lewis’ book, The Screwtape Letters. If you have not read it, it gives amazing insight into the demonic. In it Lewis puts himself in the shoes of a senior demon, teaching a younger demon how to lead a Christian away from God. Set in the backdrop of the war. Mindblowing read!

1 Like

Of course @sig, on it now.

1 Like

Yes I have read it. I have read a lot of C.S. Lewis. What a brilliant mind. I guess I am in a season where, scriptures I have read many times, are taking on a whole new meaning. So much to learn. And I can be like a hyper chihuahua, all over the place! I have to reign it in and stay focused.
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond and pray :pray:

Has the same thoughts. Dove in anyway. No sharks just big fish. Keep us posted on your progress.

1 Like