Eternal Sin: Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit

Reading Mark 3:29; What would be considered blasphemy against the holy spirit? Seems very important to know this.

2 Likes

@ahoxha Some people become very anxious because they believe they have committed the unforgivable sin. But there is no need for this anxiety if a person is afraid they have committed the sin, because a person who has committed blasphemy of the Spirit would not care that they had done so . This sin is not a one time act - it is a life long attitude of suppressing the testimony of God’s Spirit.

“Ambrose and the Didache understand the unforgivable sin to be opposing the Spirit’s work—not just in Jesus’ day, but continuing through his Spirit-inspired prophets in the contemporary church. Many in the church connected this saying with the “sin unto death” of 1 John 5:16, understood as an unforgivable post-conversion relapse, while others interpreted it more generally as a rejection of the gospel. Augustine, who dedicated at least one whole sermon to this topic, is typical and influential in arguing the blasphemy isn’t a specific act but a state of enmity and impenitence lasting unto death. It’s a hardness of heart that, if not repented of in this life, will prove to be unforgiven. In this sense, then, the blasphemy is understood simply as unbelief that persists throughout life.”

“This was not a one-time, momentary slip or inadvertent mistake in judgment. This was a persistent, life-long rebellion in the face of inescapable and undeniable truth. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not a careless act committed only once in a moment of rage or rebellion, but a calloused attitude over time; a persistent defiance that hardens and calcifies the heart.”

https://www.samstorms.com/enjoying-god-blog/post/what-is-the-unforgiveable-sin

“First let me point out that my response to each and every caller is exactly the same as what my father told me: “If you are truly concerned, you have not committed the unforgivable sin.” Rather than demonstrating concern, those who actually commit the unpardonable sin are cavalier about Christ and Christianity. In other words, they have no interest in His forgiveness.”

“Furthermore, let me point out that those who have committed the unpardonable sin have no godly regret. As Paul emphasizes in the book of Romans, they not only continue in their evil ways but approve of others who do so as well (Rom 1:32). Conversely, “godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation” (2 Cor. 7:10). Thus, as with the Apostle Peter, sorrow for sin and the desire for Christ’s forgiveness is proof positive that you have not rejected the Savior of your soul. Three times Peter denied his Lord with vile oaths. Yet Christ forgave him.”

http://www.equip.org/article/the-unforgivable-sin/

Hope those resources are helpful - Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

6 Likes

my opinion is
unbelief…
because what is being said is
that the Holy Spirit is lying in what He says
No need to read the Scriptures…so thinks the atheist

Mace in Canada