Evangelism Challenge: Halloween Conversations

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi friends,

We have had a number of conversations and diverse perspectives shared on the significance of Halloween. (I wonder if this is primarily an American tradition?).

Some have shared that they approach it as a casual day for dressing up in fun costumes, getting some treats, and spending time with neighbors. Others have voiced a concern that this is a day of celebrating darkness and being influenced by demons.

Either way, there are certainly opportunities for engaging in conversations with people who need Jesus this week!

Two questions for you:

1. What is a great, open-ended question that you could ask people in your neighborhood this week?
  2. What are you praying for God to do as you meet people during Halloween-related activities?

Finally, please make a note to report back later this week and encourage the rest of the Connect community with stories of great, respectful conversations about spiritual issues.

I hope to borrow some of your prayers and questions as I prepare for our neighborhood’s gathering this Wednesday! :slight_smile:

(Sven Janssens) #2

It is entered Belgium several years ago :slight_smile:
Thanks for the challenge. :slight_smile:
Bless ya

(Tammy) #3

I noticed while in Holland a few weeks ago that Halloween was not really celebrated. I had ask my husband’s sister who lives there if they did trick or treat? She looked at me like I was crazy. She told me that no one that she knew ever celebrated this day. She went on to tell me that some people recently are starting to celebrated it, but most people don’t understand what it is. As she continued telling me how most people just thought it was a fun day for kids to dress up and get candy. I began to ask store owners and people walking by if they knew what Halloween was, to my surprise no one had a clue. It has always made me wonder why people celebrate something they know nothing about. When I told my husband’s sister what it was all about she said, wow why would we celebrate that day at all. I just wonder if more people knew why they celebrated something if they would think twice about holding out a bag to get candy. I do hand out candy and find that it’s a great way to meet my neighbors in hopes one day to share the love of God with them. So, does it make me look like a hypocrite when I hand out candy?