Explain that love

Hi everyone,
How can god love so much to this world…even if we committed such a huge amount of sin ?

1 Like

God is love. It’s a reflection of who he is naturally you think in terms of God loving you based on performance because that’s how parents and others treated us but God made the universe and us so as to share his love and has zero to do with our worthiness. It reflects who God is. Stare and focus at God and become like Him. Loving others because you believe in benevolence irrespective of their performance. When I love others it shows who I am

6 Likes

There is no greater thing to set your heart and mind on than God’s love @Pulikkottil. You have definitely found the heart of the matter.

Your reply @SuneXei is beautiful. Absolutely it’s the essence of who God is.

Our human flaw is to try to comprehend our creator based on our own ideas, thoughts, and definitions of love. But our creator is trying to shape us into a reflection of himself. He is the center. We are the mirror.

It can help us understand our own worth (as seen by God) when we see ourselves through His eyes. It can help us seek to love better when we realize we are the reflection of God that the world sees.

Thanks for such a lovely question. I was having a rough day and remembering how much God loves me has made it better.

8 Likes

Hello, @Pulikkottil. Your question has really touched my heart, and I love the responses of the others above. I think because we are made in the image of God who is Himself just, we tend to have a very deep sense of and need for justice for wrong-doing (I just started watching a Michael Ramsden talk and thought to clarify that our sense of justice can also be, because of our depravity in our sinful state, twisted to something more like a desire for revenge), and I think that is why we struggle with the idea of God loving a world gone so wrong. We have this sense that people, that the world, should have to pay for what they’ve done or get what they deserve. But we also have to remember that God, while He is just, is also gracious and merciful, because He is love (1 John 4:8-10). I think sometimes we can feel like God’s love has excused or ignored or somehow overlooked justice, but right in the passage I gave in the parentheses, John shows us where love and justice meet–at the cross: “In this is love, not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins” (ESV). I cannot fully grasp the depth or breadth of God’s love with my small human understanding, but I do understand it in small part in being a parent. Nothing my children could ever do could ever make me love them less. How much more must our God feel that way about His creation, especially those He created with which to be in loving relationship. How His heart must long for those who are lost in darkness to repent and be reconciled to Him!

I hope this is helpful for you and leave you with Paul’s words to the Ephesians: “And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge–that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God” (3:16-19, NIV).

3 Likes