Explain why living transgender is wrong to nonbeliever

Hi everyone,

I understand why, Biblically speaking, homosexuality and transgender-ism is wrong, but how do you explain being against it to a nonChristian?

3 Likes

@Erika_Jones Following response from Ravi is very helpful :slight_smile: Included some additional links below. I think it is important to emphasize that we are for every person and want them to live a life fulfilled in Christ rather than emphasizes what we are against.

• sociological: in an autonomous culture (versus theonomous or heteronomous) people do not truly give you autonomy, but everyone tries to force their opinion on the rest
  • theological: in Christianity both race and sexuality are sacred - why do you treat race as sacred and desacralize sexuality?
  • relationally: we love people who differ with us

God gives us freedom to choose, but we do not have the power to change the consequences of the choice. Any change from Biblical marriage has ramifications.

2 Likes

I have been thinking about this a lot. I am trying to establish what the ramification of a worldview are where this is accepted. I would argue that under a purely naturalistic darwinian worldview those who do not have the capacity or the will to reproduce have had their genes selected for extinction through natural selection. In this way their value is less than a person who has both the capacity and the will to reproduce. In fact, there are some culture which encourage those who are SSA or transgendered to use their resources to support those who are reproducing.

Personally, I find the idea that a person who has less value based on their sexual orientation abhorrent. Under a Christian worldview, while the person is denied the prerogative to determine their own sexual ethic, they are afforded the dignity and value afforded to all who are made in the image and likeness of God.

I am not quite all the way there yet in the development of this idea. I welcome feedback. I am simply trying to establish what worldviews accept this position and what the implications of those worldviews are. Then determine if those implications are acceptable, etc.

1 Like

Hello Erika,
A homosexual or a transgender is a human being just like any of us, is someone who has not met Jesus, is someone who has pain, who has lost his or her identity, who is looking for the real love and who is under sin just like many people because their sin is just as the same as someone who kills or someone who lies because to God sin is sin no matter how small or big we think it is. He/she is someone who needs love, it is important to outline that we love them just as any other person that sins. We as Christians are not against the sinner but the sin itself but we cannot point at him or her because only God can judge them but instead we are called to love them but we cannot be in favor of sin because we are called to love our own body because it is a temple of God and we have to take care of it. God created us man or woman because He had the intention that in marriage we would be able to procreate and humanity would increase. Through marriage we become one and therefore can be blessed by God.

I hope my comment will in some way help you.

1 Like

Hi, @Erika_Jones! Thanks for bringing your question here to the community. :slight_smile: I’m curious how you understand the Bible speaking to the transgender experience or expression? What do you see the Bible calling ‘wrong’?

And a similar clarifying question to you, @Lali… Are you saying that you believe that someone who identifies as homosexual or transgender cannot also identify as a Christian? What is it exactly that is the ‘sin’ you are referring to in this case?

Just wanting to be careful with the language, as I can think of folks for whom this is an everyday part of their walk with Christ. For example, our friends at Living Out

2 Likes

To add to the already excellent comments above, it’s also helpful to be aware of the great resources by those who don’t necessarily share our Christian convictions, but who would agree with our conclusions on this issue. For example, a really helpful read is the book The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity by Douglas Murray. Douglas is a gay atheist journalist, but agrees with us on the transgender issue. His book is a really helpful engagement and critique of the culture wars. (And the chapter in there on forgiveness is also fascinating.)

6 Likes

Hello Kathleen,
Christians are Christ followers, there are many Christians out there living in sin, and even ourselves, the Bible says there is not one perfect person out there, only God is perfect. The Bible has many scriptures as to why homosexuality and transgender is a sin but Erika says she knows all the scriptures, I believe that is not here her question was led. Leviticus 20:13 says “‘If a man lies with a male, as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination.” And in Romans 1:27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural function of the woman, burned in their lust toward one another, men doing what is inappropriate with men, and receiving in themselves the due penalty of their error.
And there are many more but the idea is not to expose people to their sins but lead them to Jesus who forgives our sins and will transform our lives and make us new, He will never remember again our sins and will lead us through His mercy. It is not about being Christian but following Christ and being made new. His love will show is a new life.

thank you for taking the time to respond, I have seen the video with Ravi, he has such a wonderful way of clarifying concepts. I also look forward to reviewing the other material you have provided.

1 Like

I also wanted to say I really appreciate your suggestion to emphasize what we are for, not against. So often I get in the mindset of defending a position because “I am right,” and “they are wrong”, when really it’s not that they’re wrong, nor that I’m right, but that God has so much more in store for them, and that type of lifestyle is harmful and debilitating. When I remember things from that perspective I can more easily feel God’s love for people, which is of course, invaluable.

1 Like

I want to say to everyone who has responded, thank you for your thoughts. In today’s world and particularly as a student in college this is a question I feel i am constantly wrestling with as far as my own reasoning and justification.
I apologize if my question left too much room for conjecture, I completely agree that all humans are valuable and have worth given to them by God. We all have our issues, as well as acting on them is different from having an inclination or tendency/weakness. I was in a logic/reasoning frame of mind and left out the figurative, but real, faces.

One thing I really appreciate about Ravi Zacharias and his ministry, is how kind he is when speaking with people, and how that seems to be a purposeful hallmark of every sphere of the RZIM ministry that I have encountered. I may have the right answer but if I sound like a jerk who will want to be convinced? :wink:

3 Likes

The way I understand it is the Bible condemns the act, just like other sins, which means that if someone experiences SSA this does not mean directly that they’re sinning. I have a very close friend that struggles with this, and she is a Christian and believes that the “living out” aspect is the wrong part, not the desire. My heart breaks for the struggle she and others experience in trying to live a “normal” life while struggling with sexual identity issues.

Also thank you so much for this link, I had never heard of this group before.

1 Like

I appreciate the clarification, @lali! It’s more that I’m just curious how you understand the language, as I believe that in these conversations we need to aware of what we’re trying to communicate and what the other person is actually hearing. The concepts of ‘homosexuality’ and ‘transgender’, when they are spoken of today, are very broad terms, and oftentimes people mean slightly different things when they use the term. Even the concept of ‘sin’ needs to be communicated carefully…not watered-down, but, again, communicated with an awareness (or, curiosity) of what our conversation partners will hear when they hear that word. So when you say…

…I want to know how you understand that, because it could potentially be communicating something untrue and distorting.

The two passages you quoted have more to do with action, and so I was really wanting distinguish between the ‘feeling’ (or lived/felt experience) and the acting (what one does with the felt experience). I do generally believe that feeling is not ‘sinning’, and I believe that that is an important part of our message of hope in general.

But also, I wanted to distinguish between the experience of ‘homosexuality’ and ‘transgender’ because, really, they are not the same thing. Though the people who identify with the experience of these terms may be grouped together in political coalition, how they understand certain aspects of their experiences can differ. I think it’s difficult to paint a broad brush of ‘wrongness’ or ‘sin’ with transgender, because the experience is so personal. It very much depends on how a particular person, who identifies as such, understands and lives in their experience.

One person who is researching and writing on this currently is Mark Yarhouse, who just joined the faculty of Wheaton and serves as the Director of the Sexual & Gender Identity Institute. He has a lot of interesting papers out there if you can get access to them. He’s also published a good deal in Christianity Today.

Blessings Kathleen,
Well yes now that you clarified your question, I understand where you are coming from. It is very personal I understand and each case is different, and yes they are different cases, each case has to be laid upon the table before God and doctors where needed. God and the Holy Spirit reveals what is sin and how He forgives us and washes them away from our lives.

I believe you a want more specific view of both terms and yes I agree with you that transgenders are different than homosexuals, some transgenders chose to become the way they are but some were born that way, so each case is different but only the Holy Spirit reveals what is sin, in any case we are all human beings, God loves us all, if people don’t know Jesus they cannot encounter a relationship with Him and cannot heal.

It was nice to meet you and many blessings.

María Wilches