Extraterrestrial life

Hello everyone, there being more than 100 billion galaxies and almost the same number of stars in each galaxy, there is a hypothesis that we can’t be the only living beings in the universe. What if there are other life forms somewhere? Would this in any way write out the creation theory as we know it from a Christian perspective?

1 Like

Hi, @Vincent!

Great question!

I am by no means an expert, but I do not believe this would undermine the creation theory at all. I do not see any reason extra-terrestrial life would contradict scripture. In fact, I hope, if we do make contact with an alien lifeform, we can ask them if they, too, have met Christ! I suspect that there is life out there somewhere, and I believe that wherever it is God is its maker!

1 Like

The hypothesis that we “can’t be” the only living creatures in the universe is an old one that modern mathematics has largely debunked. In fact, it is very much MORE likely that there would have never been ANY life in the universe. Some calculations have put the chance of life arising in the universe at 1 in a number so large that there are more zeroes in it than there are atoms in the universe.
Assuming a naturalistic perspective, of course.

That said, I don’t see why life can’t also exist elsewhere within a biblical framework. The Bible certainly doesn’t prohibit the possibility.

2 interesting responses; I agree that logically it is possible.

Does this introduce any moral or free-will problems? Only issue I see, is if this life-form has moral free-will; and the capacity to reject God. If so, does is follow that Jesus (specifically God the Son, the second person of the Trinity) went that that earth and was born as whatever life-form they are; and died in their place too; in order to redeem them to God? I think it introduces some issues… a more likely explanation of the phenomenon reported by many people is in the second article; that is: spiritual beings. coincidentally; there are spirit beings; created by God who do have free-will; and are in the Bible… just a few thoughts…

if interested; theBibleProject has a whole series on Spiritual Beings; which I quite enjoyed…

Hi @Joshua_Hansen
Thanks for your answer. Maybe just to seek a little clarification. If your suspicions are true and there is another life form out there, does it mean that God choos to omit that information when He was inspiring the writing of the creation account?

I suppose I would agree that he chose to leave these items out of the Bible. But, there are a lot of things which are true and which he would know that are left out. There are many diseases for which it would be nice to have the cure, but those have not been revealed in Scripture. That leads to an interesting discussion about for what purpose the Bible was intended. If it was meant as an account of salvation history and the means by which the Messiah came into the earth, then there are certain things which would be pertinent to those ends and things which would not be so important.

Additionally, I believe there was a limitation on what the human mind could comprehend. The concept of space as an empty void rather than a dome would have been enough to rattle the ancient mind. The idea of other beings living on… planets!? It would not have made sense to them. We see Christ in the Gospels mention there are things which he would like to tell them that they are not able to handle. Maybe this was one of them? One could only speculate. I say all this to say that I do see room for it. But it doesn’t mean this is necessarily true.

As @matthew.western mentioned, I think a far more interesting discussion is, if they, too, are fallen races, how might salvation have come to them? Perhaps humanity is meant to spread this redemptive power, similar to C. S. Lewis’ thoughts behind the Ransom Trilogy. Perhaps they are not fallen at all? Interesting discussions that I do not feel are too fruitful to dwell on too much.

1 Like