Ezekiel 36:26

(Samuel Khaw) #1

Hi, I saw this verse Ezekiel 36:26 which is as below:

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.

Can somebody tell me on the meaning of this verse ? I just saw this verse in my bible app on my phone and i just thought that i should explore more on this verse as something in the back of my mind just pop out and said you should explore more on this verse.

Thanks.

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

@Samuel_95 this is a very good question. I have added a link to a post that I did awhile back. It is not using the Ezekiel verse as a reference but the verse in Jerimiah 31:33 and was prompted by a book I was reading about the ANE by John Walton. He had a some very interesting thoughts. I think you will see the connection. If you have anymore question please post them.

(SeanO) #3

@Samuel_95 If we read the context of this particular verse we notice a few important things:

• Ezekiel is addressing Israelites during the exile - after they have experienced God’s judgment for their hardness of heart that caused the to oppress the poor, worship idols and reject God
  • Ezekiel is promising cleansing and renewal of the heart for a people were just punished for their rebellion
  • Ezekiel is also promising physical restoration - that God will bring them back to the land which He had promised them

So, we see that this passage is a message to exiled Israelites that God had a plan to restore them - both physically from other nations in which they were exiled and spiritually from sinful hearts to hearts made clean by the Spirit which could walk in obedience to God.

Ultimately, as Christians we believe that this promise was fulfilled in the New Covenant instituted by Christ Jesus through His death and resurrection. We are indeed a people who have been given a new heart, having crucified the flesh with its passions and desires and become a new person in Christ Jesus to live a life no longer by the letter of the law, but the law of the Spirit of life!

Ezekiel 36:24-27 - “‘I will take you from the nations and gather you from all the countries; then I will bring you to your land. 25 I will sprinkle you with pure water and you will be clean from all your impurities. I will purify you from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit within you. I will remove the heart of stone from your body and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put my Spirit within you; I will take the initiative and you will obey my statutes and carefully observe my regulations.

That is, a heart which symbolizes a will that is stubborn and unresponsive (see [1 Sam 25:37](javascript:{})). In Rabbinic literature a “stone” was associated with an evil inclination ( b. Sukkah 52a).

That is, a heart which symbolizes a will that is responsive and obedient to God.

(Samuel Khaw) #4

@Jimmy_Sellers . Thanks for the explanation and insights that you have share with me. It might be a little too deep for me, but i will definitely giving it a read.

(Samuel Khaw) #5

@SeanO Thank you for your explanation. And I love the video from the bible project, really puts into the context of this verse. May God give me wisdom and the spirit to understand that i am meditating on.

(SeanO) #6

@Samuel_95 Amen! Yes, I really like their videos as well. Glad it was helpful :slight_smile: