Faith Healers and Miraculous Healing

I have a relative who recently found out she has a very serious health problem. In her search for answers and peace of mind, she came across an alleged “faith-healer” named Andrew Wommack.

Seems like a potential false prophet, but because he has a big following and airs daily on TBN, he has some sort of reputability that she’s buying into…

She’s now convinced that miraculous healing is guaranteed and promised to us in the Bible (for example, Mark 26:17-18, Isaiah 53:4-5). I don’t believe this is true. There are plenty of cases where people are not healed despite prayer. And ultimately we all reach the end of our life and will die of some form of sickness or health failure. If this guaranteed healing were true, no one would ever die.

I’m concerned if she isn’t healed, she’ll lose her faith in Jesus.

Do you know of any verses I could point her to? Or have you heard of this Andrew Wommack guy? Any advice on how to handle this?

1 Like

Hello Desiree,

I don’t know how to comment but say I hope your relative will see Andrew for what he is, particularly if he is fleecing off her. I have received prayer at Healing Rooms. This is an international ministry where Christians pray for Jesus to heal. It is probably in your country. The website in NZ points to where it came from https://healingrooms.co.nz/

I would encourage your relative to be prayerful for guidance about this. And though much miraculous healing was done in the New Testament, the reason it may have been so prevalent was to help spread the Gospel.

You can reference Paul who was not healed even when he asked to be:
“So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:7-10‬ ‭ESV‬‬

There are many testimonies as well of Christians living today with disabilities or health issues of how God has used them in their weakness. It is everyone’s desire to be healed of sickness, but I do not feel that is a guarantee.

This article may give some helpful insight:

I pray that your relative does not feel the need to reject Christ for lack of healing. Maybe the testimonies of others who have hardships would be encouraging. :heart:

1 Like

@deslanact If she is open to it, you might consider pointing her to people like Nick Vujicic and Joni Eareckson Tada, who are famous and devout Christians with disabilities who have never been healed and yet live with great joy and peace in Christ.

3 Likes

Desiree, while I believe in being healed through our faith in Christ as He said many times “your faith has made you well”. Plus personal testimonies of others who have been healed.
I also have read testimonies of those decieved by someones charismatic charm. I do not know this mans personal life or Character, i just did a quick search. I will be praying truth comes to light and wisdom, discernment for all in this matter.
In our last days we must take heed to Mark 13:22.
On another note realizing you are new here. I have been much encouraged in many ways by the posts that the others here have shared. I have found thier insight relevant and informative. Blessings to all
Mike

2 Likes

Thank you for your input.

Thank you. I agree and appreciate the prayer.

@SeanO Thank you! These are great resources :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Desiree,

I hope that you’re relative will find peace with God whether she is healed or not. The resources that SeanO shared are definitely good ones and hopefully they will help. I just wanted to point you to one other resource that hopefully will help you and your relative with the “faith healing” thing. It’s a documentary called American Gospel. It deals with the faith healing and Prosperity gospel movement. I will leave a link below for it on YouTube. Please look into it because this is a major movement today and it is best to be informed on it because it can be very deceptive, and extremely dangerous. The link is to a shortened version and the full documentary can be found on Amazon Prime I think.

Whether God heals your relative physically or not, I hope that He will touch her life in a special way and show her that He is there with her. God bless you Desiree and thank you.

Matthew

American Gospel - https://youtu.be/ocHm18wUAGU

Any healing comming from God will be complete, immediate and permanent.
You can stay close make sure she’s not taken advantage of , and be there.
Jesus often said because you believed you are healed.
But this man cannot heal her, only God can Heal.
Just be there, we she knows how much you care, she’ll care about what you have to say.

In the end, I suppose only God knows why some are healed, and others are not. But I do make these observations:

1. God’s will is not always done. Ultimately, of course, God’s will must be done, or He would not be sovereign. However, within that sovereign will, God allows for human freedom. So we pray, “Come thy Kingdom, be done thy will”, as, in our subjective experience, God’s will is not automatic. So within that subjectivity, let us be diligent to pray for the sick.
  2. Faith seems to be the common thread among those who were healed in the Gospels. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the revealed word (rhema) of God. Let us be diligent in hearing.
  3. Our words are important. They shape our reality. Jesus said we are not defiled by the food that goes into our mouth, but by the words that go out of it. Let us be diligent in allowing only believing words to be said.
  4. I would ignore the TV preachers. The fruit of their lives proves who they are. Jesus is real. We don’t need them.

His website is contradictory in my opinion in that they’ve moved away from radio to do podcasts, but if you want prayer you still need to make telephone call which no doubt is a premium rate call why can’t you email your prayer requests?

You need to remind your relative that God doesn’t need ‘special’ people or ‘payment’ in order to heal people, all I can recommend is that you pray for both with her and in private.

1 Like