Faith that does not doubt

Matthew 21:21-22 says So Jesus answered and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ it will be done. And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”

How do you have this strong of a faith? I seem to relate more to doubting Thomas than I do to this kind of faith.
Yet, I desire this unquestionable faith.
I guess it boils down to I have total faith in Jesus and not much faith in me and what I believe.

2 Likes

@CharlesDavid It is perfectly normal to have doubts - they are just part of the journey. Check out Greg Boyd’s video linked below - I think he makes a great distinction between faith and psychological certainty. Faith is not the absence of doubt, but the choice to seek God in the midst of uncertainty. Tim Mackie also has a good video on praying through doubt that is based on the Psalms. A few thoughts:

• faith in the Bible is not about the absence of doubt, but about persistently seeking God in spite of our doubts / struggles
  • faith is a journey and doubts are part of that journey
  • rather than trying harder to believe, perhaps try just trusting God with your doubts and continuing to walk with Him / honor Him on the journey
  • sometimes even when we know the answers we may still experience psychological doubt - our emotions are prone to many influences - hunger, illness, weariness - and our emotions impact our mental state. So faith is not about always feeling we have faith or psychological assent - but about trusting God in the midst of our weakness.
  • like Biblical characters (David, Habakkuk, Job) we take our doubts to God - we pray through our doubts - not seeking psychological certainty, but leaning into God as our rock in the midst of doubt

Praying that you will find peace :slight_smile:

Greg Boyd - Faith is Not About Certainty But About Covenant

faith is not intellectual assent (a psychological concept); it is not psychological certainty

people tend to think your faith is as strong as your mind is certain, in which case doubt is the antithesis of faith, but this view is incorrect

Biblical faith isn’t about trying to attain certainty; it’s about committing to a course of action in the face of uncertainty

For many, faith is about attaining as much certainty as possible in order to be a true follower of Christ. But the Bible tells us faith is about committing to a course of action in the face of uncertainty. God is not seeking all the right answers from his people in order to let them into heaven; no, he is our loving Bridegroom who seeks to be in a covenantal relationship with us in the midst of our uncertainties.

Praying Through Doubt - The Psalms

Tim Mackie, one of the creators of ‘The Bible Project’, preaches about how in the Psalms we see that the authors of the Psalms often wrestled with doubt by praying through it and remembering God’s promises.

Connect Threads

2 Likes

I don’t know if this will be helpful but I always remind myself that it not my faith that saves it is the faithfulness of God that saves me. In this I have no doubt. I might doubt myself but not Him. These verses express that for me.

13 For when* God made a promise to Abraham, since he had no one greater to swear by, he swore by himself, 14 saying,

“Surely ⌊I will greatly bless⌋ you, and ⌊I will greatly multiply⌋ you.” 

15 And so, by* persevering, he obtained the promise. 16 For people swear by what is greater than themselves, and the oath for confirmation is the end of all dispute for them. 17 In the same way God, because he* wanted to show even more to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of his resolve, guaranteed it with an oath, 18 in order that through two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge may have powerful encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us, 19 which we have like an anchor of the soul, both firm and steadfast, and entering into the inside of the curtain, 20 where Jesus, the forerunner for us, entered, because he* became a high priest ⌊forever⌋ according to the order of Melchizedek. (Heb 6:13–20)

3 Likes

@Jimmy_Sellers I also like the imagery as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. We’ve taken refuge in Him. In some other translations the curtain is also called a veil. All talking about the curtain that kept people out of the Holy of Holies in the temple/tabernacle. The curtain had Cherubim on it, same as in the Garden if Eden when God put Cherubim to guard the entrance after the fall of Man.

when Jesus cried ‘It is finished’ the veil/curtain was supernaturally ripped from top to bottom showing we have access to God through Jesus completed work on the cross!! Amazing!

There is so much in Hebrews, your verses promoted me to go and do a little reading and I stumbled on this little study. It also mentions a few points which I had not picked up before. In Jesus’ day the ark of the covenant was not in Herods temple, and a few other interesting points … I did not know about this Jewish custom:

It is as if God the Father did, as any Jewish father would have done at the deathbed of his only son. It was customary for Jewish mourners to take hold of their outer garment with both hands and tear it. The “hands” of God tore the thick veil of the Temple from top to bottom.

http://www.abideinchrist.com/messages/ex26v31.html

1 Like