Fear God

(Beny Crestin) #1

Hello!

I have a question because I‘ve heard it a lot or times and I still haven’t found a clear answer.
I am a devoted christian in Austria who loves Jesus.
The question is should we fear God? Even tho Jesus came? Because I couldn’t find a single verse in New Testament. I just found that in Love is no Fear.

Thanks for the answer

(SeanO) #2

@Beny_Crestin In the New Testament, God loves us as a Father if we are His children. The NT says that a father disciplines his children for their own good and so does our Heavenly Father. So we should fear the Lord’s discipline as we fear that of a good father - it is very real, but it is also motivated by love.

A few things to remember:

• love is closely connected to obedience in the NT - if we love God we obey Him
  • there is no reason to fear God’s judgment if we are walking in obedience
  • God always forgives us when we confess our sins (I John 1:9)
  • if we are God’s children, then we can rest in His forgiveness and love - but it does not mean there are no consequences for sin - similar to a good earthly father
  • there are warnings in the New Testament that urge us to examine our hearts and make sure we are truly walking with God (Hebrews 3-4, James 1:22-25)
  • even in the NT, the wicked should fear God - for He will come to judge the living and the dead - it is in Christ that we are set free from the expectation of judgment

Hope that was helpful. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

I John 4:18 - There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

John 14:21 - Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.

For the wicked, there is a genuine fear of God’s judgment upon those who do evil - we see this when Felix recoils at Paul’s preaching about self-control and judgment - Felix sends him away - his conscience has been pricked

Acts 24:23-25 - As Paul talked about righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, “That’s enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you.”

1 Peter 3:12 - For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.

For those are seeking to honor God, the fear of the Lord is best explained in the way a child relates to their Father - a Father protects, guides - as well as disciplining

Hebrews 12:4-6 - In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says,

“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
6 because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”

Philippians 2:12 - Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed–not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence–continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling…

While this thread is not directly related, I think that sometimes questions related to fearing God and knowing we are saved get connected. We can rest in the Father’s love as His children and we do not need to fear being kicked out of God’s family every time we fall, but we are also called ‘further up and further in’ - to keep growing in knowledge and righteousness.

The Second Death, What is it?