Final Revelation?

(Ashlyn Albers) #1

I heard someone say once that (I think in the book of Revelation) the Bible says the NT is the last revelation or last word from God. I can’t seem to find this reference I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me locate this, or if this is even correct.

5 Likes
(Lindsay Brandt) #2

Hello, Ashlyn! No where in the Bible does it directly say that the New Testament is the last word or revelation of God, though one could use Scriptural references to show that the NT is the last word of God in a sense. When the writers of the books/letters of the NT were writing, the New Testament canon or collection of writings, had not been put together as we have it today, and those writings were not even referred to as the New Testament. What the person may have been referring to was in Revelation 22:18-19 where it proclaims a curse for anyone who adds to or takes away from “these things,” referring to “the words of the prophecy of this book” (NKJV). Some have taken that verse to mean the entire biblical canon, and some have taken that to mean the New Testament. At the time Revelation was written, there was no New Testament as we know it today. The best way to take the verses is that the writer was referring to the prophecy given in Revelation.

Another verse the person could be referring to, although it would have to be an indirect reference, because it doesn’t really speak of any of the circulating writings at the time in which it was written, is Hebrews 1:1-2: “God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom He also made the worlds;” This doesn’t exactly point to what you heard someone say, but it does let us know that Jesus was the last Word of God as far as prophets in the Old Testament sense go. This means that there will be no new revelation outside of what has been revealed in Christ, which has indeed been written about in the New Testament.

What are your thoughts?

5 Likes
(Jimmy Sellers) #3

It is possible that these verses could possible be understood as closing the book so too speak.

Revelation 22:18–19 (LEB): I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues written in this book. And if anyone takes away from the words of this book of prophecy, God will take away his share of the tree of life and from the holy city that are written in this book.

I don’t believe that we will be getting any new books added to the Bible. Jesus is the word made flesh and sufficient to save. To know him is to know the Father.

1 Like
(Keith Moore) #4

Hi. I won’t repeat what others have already pointed out from Revelation. It does raise the question, though, that if there isn’t a definitive verse saying ‘The End’, why couldn’t more books be added?
I think the reason for this has to do with how the New Testament was compiled. For a book to be accepted it had to a) have apostolic authotrity or be linked to the apostles - those who lived, walked and talked with Jesus (including Paul who saw the risen Christ); b) Be spiritually authoratitive - was this writing believed to be inspired by God; and c) It must not contradict Scripture. (This is a simplification of the process). Once the last of the apostles died ( I take the view that the disciple John wrote Revelation in the 90’s ad) the apostolic authority ‘door’, if you like, closed. Therefore there are lots of great Christian writings that have been prayerfully written, and perhaps inspired by the Holy Spirit - but which we would not say were “God breathed” and therefore do not have the weight of Scripture. What do others think?

1 Like