Finding Freedom and Purpose in Selflessness

In today’s Take Five, Kasey Leander talks about Jesus’ controversial statement: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves, take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.” At first glance, this seems like a difficult paradox: why should we have to face “losing” our life if we want to “find” it?

A similar principle operates all through life: the principle is that purpose involves selflessness.

By contrast, there’s no quicker way to destroy our own happiness than by turning our gaze completely within.

Jesus is saying that no life, no foundation, not even the good things we want to do can satisfy us unless we first come to Him and surrender everything.

Make it Personal

• What has been the most difficult thing, personally, to give up in following Christ? Why was it so difficult?

• What strikes you as the most substantial difference between this purpose, given to us by Christ, and the purpose for which the world around us tells us to strive?

3 Likes

This was a really great encouragement! Thanks @jspare!

• What has been the most difficult thing, personally, to give up in following Christ? Why was it so difficult?

Definitely friends! I found my acceptance in them and therefore my identity had started to revolve around them. When I decided to follow Christ more whole heartedly, that’s when I found what true freedom was!

There’s a song that has really encouraged me called “I Found it All”. The chorus says — I found it all when I lost everything and gave my life to serve the risen King. I found the truth that I’d been searching for, I found it all when I found the Lord! It’s not a finding for one’s own pleasure, but rather a finding to share.

• What strikes you as the most substantial difference between this purpose, given to us by Christ, and the purpose for which the world around us tells us to strive?

The game changer with this is what Kasey said “our purpose involves selflessness”.

The world tells us to strive so we can be, God tells us we are and that’s why we do what we do. Selflessness is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less!

Truly, no life, foundation, or good that we want to do can satisfy us unless we first come to Him and surrender everything!

4 Likes