Free Will in Heaven?

(Paul Wiersma) #1

This is one of those questions that I can assume the answer to but I don’t know where to go to in scripture to make my case.

My question: In heaven, will we have the same free will that was the cause for the fall in the Garden of Eden?

9 Likes
(Micah Bush) #2

Revelation 21:27 describes the New Jerusalem like so: “Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life” (NIV). I think it follows, then, that there will be no evil, nor even the possibility of evil, in the new heaven and new earth. This is not a violation of free will, it is simply the nature of choices; if two routes are mutually exclusive, then one necessarily rejects one in choosing the other. In choosing God, who is good, we turn our backs on evil because it is opposed to the ultimate good, which is God. I think C.S. Lewis put it well in The Great Divorce, that a man in Heaven will be “Free, as a man is free to drink while he is drinking. He is not free still to be dry.”

10 Likes
(Heidi Mitchell) #3

Thanks for asking this question, Paul! Definitely something I also think about, and wonder what Free Will looks like in a place free of sin. - Thanks for your reply, Micah- CS Lewis’ quote :ok_hand:

(Paul Wiersma) #4

This is just the passage of scripture I needed to defend my case towards Heaven being free of temptation and therefore those in Heaven falling away. Thank you for your insight!

1 Like
(Kathleen) #5

Hello! I just thought everyone may be interested in reading through another conversation from a couple of months ago on this similar topic. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
(Sara Isaac) #7

I think this question is quite interesting. I believe that there are five questions that could help us think about it:
1-Why did Adam & Eve get out of Eden in the first place?
2-What is the Gospel message?
3-What do you do to get to ‘heaven’?
4-Is heaven just a nice place or a state of being?
5-What kind of free will did Jesus have on earth? He was fully man and fully God and he didn’t sin. Did he have the choice to begin with?

3 Likes
(Mark Gilliam) #8

In heaven we will freely make choices and decisions in accordance to our natures which will be perfected in and by Christ. Hebrews 12:23, 1 John 3:2

In heaven there is no ability to sin because we will not have any flaw in our nature as we do now that would cause us to choose to sin.

We will choose as Christ chooses, because we will be perfectly conformed to His image. This is in no way limiting. It is true freedom. “You will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.” John 8:32 “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:36

There is no bondage to sin in Heaven as there will be no desire to sin. It is wonderful. As believers on this side of heaven we have a limited and incomplete view of the real freedom to come, when the bondage of sin is completely eradicated. Again, Heaven is true freedom.