Garden of Gethsemane

In the garden of Gethsemane, we know that most of the disciples were away, one gone to fetch the soldiers, and the ones who went with Jesus a little closer to His praying place were sleeping. Then who witnessed the prayer of Jesus in the garden? How is that we have an account of that prayer when He was all alone during that time?

2 Likes

@ammu Great question :slight_smile: There are a number of possibilities.

• if we read the text carefully, all of the disciples were in the vicinity but Jesus only commanded the 3 He took further to stay awake - these other disciples may have witnessed the events; especially if Jesus was crying out in anguish. Luke 22:41 says the disciples were only a stone’s throw away, which would not have been too far to witness some of the events.
  • Jesus may have told the disciples about this event in more detail after the resurrection or at some other time

Matthew 26:36-37 - Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to the disciples, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 He took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and became anguished and distressed. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved, even to the point of death. Remain here and stay awake with me.”

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ammu I have thought the same. In Mark 14:51 we learn that there was also someone else in the garden. A young man ran away naked when Jesus was arrested. A common idea is that this was John Mark author of the gospel of Mark. He too may have witnessed Jesus’ prayer.

3 Likes

@Keith_Moore Interesting theory! Apparently the tradition that this runaway was Mark began in the thirteenth century, but it is a very intriguing possibility. The following article from DTS delves a bit more into the mystery of this particular individual who ran away from the scene.

Most scholars believe that, like an artist painting himself in a corner of his canvas, Mark included a cameo of himself in his Gospel. The history of identifying this character with the author himself began with a thirteenth-century Coptic manuscript in which a footnote identified the young man as Mark the Evangelist (or as James, son of Joseph). But Papias, the early second-century bishop of Hierapolis, declared that “Mark neither heard the Lord nor followed him” (Eusebius, Hist. Eccl. 3.39.15) during Jesus’s lifetime. Others have speculated that the naked runaway was Lazarus, or Joseph of Arimathea, or a number of others.

1 Like

Yes it does brother. Thank you.

1 Like

It could be too! I didn’t think of him. Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I didn’t know where this idea about it being Mark himself originated but had heard it several times. This is really interesting. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ammu

Your question is very important, because it is a point that can be taken to say the Bible has errors, so we want to think through it logicly.
By assuming the disciples were all asleep all the time is a hasty generalization, a logical fallacy. It is also recorded that Jesus was only a stones through away from Peter, James and John. Maybe less then ten good steps. But, they loved Christ and would have wanted to pray with Him, not in any way have the mind set to ignore Him and just go to sleep. I have set out to pray many times and then been over come by sleep. It is one of the devils most often used tools. Peter, James and John were the ones closest to Christ at the time of His prayer, not Matthew. Mark was not even there, he was Peters attendant and writer, John Mark. And Luke was not there also. And John does not even bring it up in his gospel, but does record the prayer of Jesus (The High Priestly Prayer in John 17:1-26) before they reached the garden. If you look at that Prayer in John 17 it had to be recalled and recorded by supernatural revelation, the Holy Spirit. That being so, then the others could have been recorded the same way. Thank you for your question and God bless you…

thank you…

1 Like

Thank you.