Genealogy of Jesus

We all know that Jesus was conceived and born by his mother Mary through the power of the Holy Spirit and not through a human father. How could I simply understand and trace the bloodline or genealogy of Jesus if He got no human father? Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

Hi, @Sherilyn! Welcome to Connect. We’re glad you’re posting your questions for us to explore together. :slight_smile:

Quick clarifying question: What do you mean by ‘trace the bloodline’ of Jesus? Do you mean tracing back to Him from the present day or tracing his genealogy, like Matthew and Luke?

4 Likes

Thank you Kathleen for your reply. Its like where Jesus came from, how could he had a bloodline if He was conceived by the Holy Spirit? How could he be connected to his great grand fathers something like that…

3 Likes

@Sherilyn even though we know that Joseph was not Jesus biological father, he is considered Jesus father when it comes to the genealogy you mention. We see this in Luke 3:23 where it says, “being the son (as was supposed) of Joseph” ESV.
The reason we know that Joseph is considered Jesus father is that in verse 31 of this chapter and again in Matthew 1:16 his is listed as Jesus father.
The significance of this is that the Jewish messiah was prophesied to be a descendant of King David: 2 Samuel 7:12, Isaiah 11:1, Jeremiah 23:5, Matthew 1:1, Luke 1:32-33, Acts 15:15-16 & Hebrews 1:15. Jospeh is the decedent of David.
I hope this helps answer your question @Sherilyn, I am hoping to adopt a little girl this year so I can relate to Jospeh’s relationship to Jesus :smile: He changed the nappies/diapers or whatever they used back then :joy:

Hi @brianlalor, what are your thoughts on the differences of the genealogies in Luke and Matthew?

@sean.oronain I currently hold to the traditional thinking that for some reason Luke decided to trace the line from Mary.
Here is an article that explains it far better than I can:
https://carm.org/jesus-christ/why-are-there-different-genealogies-jesus-matthew-1-and-luke-3
I hope this answers your question :raised_hands:

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts Brian. I’ll check out that article :slight_smile:

1 Like