Gentle and Lowly Book Study: An Invitation

Hi @Interested_In_Book_Studies, @Interested_in_Discipleship,

You are invited to join me and the RZIM Connect community in a study of Dane Ortlund’s book Gentle and Lowly.

Sam Allberry, an RZIM itinerant, says this about the book:

Only a few pages in I started to realize how unusual and essential this book is—it is an exposition of the very heart of Christ. The result is a book that astonishes us with the sheer abundance and capacity of his love for us. Breathtaking and healing in equal measure, it is already one of the best books I’ve read.

What is the book about, you ask?

In the Introduction, Dane Ortlund explains the book’s focus:

This is a book about the heart of Christ. Who is he? Who is he really? What is most natural to him? What ignites within him most immediately as he moves toward sinners and sufferers? What flows out most freely, most instinctively? Who is he?

If you would like to better know the heart of Christ, I hope you’ll get a copy of this book and participate in the conversation.

We’ll start with a discussion of the Introduction on Monday, June 29th.

25 Likes

Thank you for the invitation. I would love to join you in this study. I do not have the book and from recent experience of getting books don’t think it will be here in time.

John

3 Likes

I understand @jjsiwinski! If you are comfortable with a digital version of the book, that could be a good way to access it. It is available both as an electronic book and as an audio book.

7 Likes

Carson, truly a great book study indeed would be great. I was so impressed with the depth I ordered two for friends who struggle with old law thinking. Many places are back ordered on it.

Mike

6 Likes

Thank for an invitation
I would love to join this book study group.
This will be really awesome to go with the flow to know more about the heart of Christ. This will really take us more close to Him…
How can I get a soft copy of the book?

5 Likes

Hi @Rhans,

I would recommend you try to get a copy from your favorite online or local bookstore. We don’t have any special method or way of getting copies of the book to people via this site.

3 Likes

@CarsonWeitnauer thank for an info

3 Likes

Mike, I don’t know if by “old law” thinking you are referring to legalistic Christians, but as I’ve been listening to this book I am reminded how when I was part of a very legalistic denomination we turned our noses up at any teaching that was too much about love and not enough about law, which we considered more meatier teaching. Now that I understand more about God’s grace and how wrong we were to want to try to still be saved by the law, I find learning more about the love of Christ to be deeper and meatier than teaching about law. I found it interesting that you thought this book would help your old law friends because I agree. The legalism bound us in a kind of slavery and understand the love of Christ truly frees us. Lack of accepting forgiveness is something that someone close to me has only recently understood has been the problem in his life and he has been studying and working to wrap his brain around Christ’s forgiveness and love.

I’d love to join in the study. :blush:

8 Likes

@CarsonWeitnauer. Thank you for the invite. I just finished the 14 day devotion on YouVersion with a friend. And now for this invite. Marvelous! I have it ordered and I found this online that might have bridge the gap if anyone doesn’t have the physical book on time (for those that choose physical over digital). https://www.google.com/books/edition/Gentle_and_Lowly/dijbDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1

7 Likes

Totally agree! Such a beautiful book. I ordered it but it is not here yet so I downloaded the audio book. It is so beautiful and I thank you for recommending it :pray:

3 Likes

Hello Carrie, thanks for sharing these personal thoughts with me. Yes legalistic thinking was my thoughts exactly. My friends and many others I see struggle with that former identity due its pervasiveness. I too look forward to the study because of that view many are defeated, and struggle with measuring up. Dane has a great grasp on the true heart of God. Would love to put this book in the hands and hearts of many.

Mike

5 Likes

I just got a copy of the book! Thanks for starting this book engagement :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How are we meeting and what does the format look like? I will check it out. Thank you for the invite. Im doing RZIM curriculum in August so that might be too much. I will see what you say on the 29th. Thanks Carson! Always looking to be more like Jesus!

3 Likes

Hi @PhillipTappmeyer,

I’ll be posting a few of my favorite sections from each chapter of the book along with some discussion questions each Monday.

If you have the time to read a chapter a week and participate in the conversation, you’ll be good to go!

4 Likes

So Chapter 1 for Monday or are we starting after the intro. Im getting the book now.

3 Likes

We’ll discuss the introduction next week!

3 Likes

Thank you Carson. Be blessed and looking forward to it.

3 Likes

Speaking of which:

“For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” (John 1:17, ESV)

3 Likes

Bought it! Reading it! Yay!

3 Likes

Excited to start tomorrow! The intro addresses, in part, who the book is written for. Have you messed up before? Felt like you disappointed God? I certainly have! And, when I have messed up, I feel unworthy – even avoiding devotions or prayer at times, kinda like Adam and Eve, running to hide. But, I have never once when I have sat down, asked forgiveness, and requested a new slate been denied. That sense of unending favor and grace comes racing back to me as a knight in shining armor. I thank God for being faithful and just to forgive my transgressions. Just having read the first few chapters I so look forward to reading the posts and whether others experience the same thing. Thanks for being a part of this.

7 Likes