Getting started on the path

(Hailey Oster) #1

“I am ready willing and able to give all of myself to God, but I have so many questions and lots of confusion such as where do I start? Or how do I start?”

I got this message from my cousin this evening! I am so excited about it! But I’m feeling overwhelmed answering it because he has autism and I’m not super close with him, or relationship is mostly through messaging. I am worried I will confuse him or overwhelm him…I’ve never used this site before I don’t even know if this is the proper use of it, I am sorry if it isnt!

Any help, directory or resources are greatly appreciated!
Hailey

(Helen Tan) #2

Hi @Hailey, rest assured that you are in a great place to get help and answers. There are lots of knowledgeable and experienced people here who will be able to direct you to resources to help your cousin. What is great is that your heart is full of love for him and that is a good place to start. Thank you for asking as I’m certain that the rest of us will also benefit from the answers that are forthcoming.

God bless!

(SeanO) #3

@Hailey That is so exciting that your cousin wants to learn more about Jesus! I think the one path forward is:

1. Help them have clear understanding of the Gospel and understand what it means to trust God instead of the world (‘The Explicit Gospel’ by Matt Chandler could help)
  2. Help them begin to read the Bible (Bible Project and NLT New Believer’s Bible may help)
  3. Prayer & Christian Community

The book by Greg Laurie for new believers may prove useful. Hope those thoughts are helpful in terms of somewhere to start out :slight_smile: May the Lord Jesus bless you with wisdom as you share with your cousin.

Here is a resource from cru as well that gows through 10 basic steps to living the Christian life.

10 Basic Steps to Christian Growth - Cru

(Hailey Oster) #4

Thank you! This is a very helpful start… as I do not know the bible in its entirety yet myself, I appreciate the resources and the direction. There is so much to learn and unpack. I am grateful for being able to talk directly to God about these things and trust that he will guide me by the Spirit and make all my shortcomings his victories.
Thank you for doing what you do, you are in my prayers,

Hailey

(SeanO) #5

@Hailey Glad you found some helpful resources. Praying for you as well - may the Lord Jesus fill you with the love and knowledge of God.

(Helen Tan) #6

Hi @Hailey, I think everyone here is on the road to learning and unpacking what our Father has put in place for us. What is great here is that we can do it together as we share our knowledge and experiences. Most of all, we trust our Father to order our steps so that we know and understand what He has planned for us. Just take the next step in full faith that He is with you. Praying that we will all walk in the paths He has designed and planned for us and that we will know His love for us in increasing measure. Rest in His love.

(Kathleen) #7

I’m a bit late to the party, but what a exciting text to receive! How has it been with him over the last week? And how are you doing? Any questions we can bat around for you? :smiley: