Getting to know each other better

(Jennifer Judson) #1

Thought I’d pose some questions so we can get to know each other more personally. I’ve come to think of you all as wonderful friends in the body of Christ–how cool to have friends all over the world. So here’s a list you can copy/paste for your post. My answers are below. Feel free to add your own questions.

What color makes you smile?
A favorite hymn?
A favorite psalm?
Go to verse(s) when your in deep need of God’s affirming love?
Whose daily devotionals pushed to your email do you most often read?
What part of your Sunday worship service engages your heart most?
What part of your Sunday worship service engages your mind most?
What bad habit is the bane of your existence?
Animal lover? What kind?
Would you rather be curled up by a fire with a good book or out in nature hiking (or something)?
What book(s) [other than the Bible] have you read multiple times?
Generally, what’s your favorite outdoor kind of place (mountains, beach, forest, etc)?
Where do you feel especially close to God?
Where do you spend too many hours a day that you shouldn’t?
If you re-directed those hours, where would you put them for a more abundant life?

What color makes you smile? Periwinkle blue

A favorite hymn? When I Survey The Wondrous Cross

A favorite psalm? Psalm 8

Go to verse(s) when your in deep need of God’s affirming love? Eph 3:14-19 (14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, 16 that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.)

Whose daily devotionals pushed to your email do you most often read? A Slice of Infinity (RZIM)

What part of your Sunday worship service engages your heart most? Pastoral Prayer

What part of your Sunday worship service engages your mind most? Sermon

What bad habit is the bane of your existence? Food

Animal lover? What kind? Yes. Dogs first, cats second.

Would you rather be curled up by a fire with a good book or out in nature hiking (or something)? Curled up with a book.

What book(s) [other than the Bible] have you read multiple times? Jan Karon’s Father Tim series

Generally, what’s your favorite outdoor kind of place (mountains, beach, forest, etc)? Mountains

Where do you feel especially close to God? In the mountains, especially where there are numerous peaks to see.

Where do you spend too many hours a day that you shouldn’t? TV

If you re-directed those hours, where would you put them for a more abundant life? With God.

What’s stopping me? Laziness, stubbornness, stupidity

(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Dark blue

A favorite hymn?

O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go

A favorite psalm?

Psalm 23…

Go to verse(s) when you’re in deep need of God’s affirming love?

Ephesians 3:14-21 (SV)
Eph. 3:14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father,
Eph. 3:15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named,
Eph. 3:16 that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being,
Eph. 3:17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph. 3:18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
Eph. 3:19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Eph. 3:20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,
Eph. 3:21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

N/a…

Preaching

Preaching

Chocolate. Also one of the great parts of my existence, a double-edged sword!

Animal lover? What kind?

Birds and fish. Cats and dogs if I had the energy to keep up with them! We have a bird feeder outside our kitchen window… I love seeing the birds!

Would you rather be curled up by a fire with a good book or out in nature hiking (or something)?

Both at the same time. I love a good hike with family and friends, excited for my kids to be older and able to handle this more.

I need to do this more often!

Generally, what’s your favorite outdoor kind of place (mountains, beach, forest, etc)?

A cabin on a mountain in a forest next to a lake. :slight_smile:

When talking to a nonChristian about Jesus.

Reading the news.

If you re-directed those hours, where would you put them for a more abundant life?

Writing!

What’s stopping you?

Tired!

[/quote]

(Jennifer Judson) #3

Answers made me chuckle. I have a mental list of God’s perfect foods–chocolate definitely on the list (along with bacon, raised-glazed donuts, and anything with ample amounts of cinnamon/sugar/butter)!

Recommend closing your eyes for 30 seconds a day to spend in your cabin by the lake in the mountains. Fishing one day, roasting marshmallows the next.

(Natasha Morton) #4

How fun!

What color makes you smile? Blue

A favorite hymn? Jesus I Come

A favorite psalm? 46:10

John 16:33
1 John 4:18-19

What part of your Sunday worship service engages your heart most? It’s the entire experience. The music gets my spirit soaring and the preaching makes my heart warm

What part of your Sunday worship service engages your mind most? Preaching

What bad habit is the bane of your existence? I love food myself. Savory stuff - pastas, sauces, etc. Great, now I’m hungry lol

Animal lover? What kind? I love all kinds of animals. I have a large dog that lives with me, but am a big lover of wild animals like lions - and birds, in particular peacocks.

Would you rather be curled up by a fire with a good book or out in nature hiking (or something)? Again depends on the mood. I’m typically game for either.

What book(s) [other than the Bible] have you read multiple times? Many of them, but my favorite books are Esther and Revelation.

Generally, what’s your favorite outdoor kind of place (mountains, beach, forest, etc)? Any place with water, but not crowded.

Where do you feel especially close to God? During my Bible Study when I’m engaging with my friends.

Where do you spend too many hours a day that you shouldn’t? Lounging on the couch, watching a movie.

If you re-directed those hours, where would you put them for a more abundant life? I’d like to spend more time visiting with my friends and family (unfortunately something that is hard with my current work schedule).
[/quote]

(Stewart Andres) #5

Green

A favorite hymn? Way Maker

A favorite psalm? 23

Go to verse(s) when your in deep need of God’s affirming love? Psalms 23:3

Whose daily devotionals pushed to your email do you most often read? :confused:

What part of your Sunday worship service engages your heart most? The Sermon

What part of your Sunday worship service engages your mind most? The Sermon

What bad habit is the bane of your existence? The couch!

Animal lover? What kind? All Gods Creations are Good but cats I respect!

Would you rather be curled up by a fire with a good book or out in nature hiking (or something)? Chopping the wood sounds good!

What book(s) [other than the Bible] have you read multiple times? Titanic

Generally, what’s your favorite outdoor kind of place (mountains, beach, forest, etc)? Forest

Anywhere where it’s quiet

Where do you spend too many hours a day that you shouldn’t? Couch :couch_and_lamp:

(Maureen Barnes) #6

What color makes you smile? Bright Spring Green

A favorite hymn? Great Is Thy Faithfulness

A favorite psalm? currently Psalm 34

Go to verse(s) when your in deep need of God’s affirming love? Jeremiah 32; 17

Whose daily devotionals pushed to your email do you most often read? I have several that I read everyday.

What part of your Sunday worship service engages your heart most? Usually the Worship

What part of your Sunday worship service engages your mind most? usually the sermon

What bad habit is the bane of your existence? I have more than one, and I usually try to pretend they don’t exist…but here we are…

Animal lover? What kind? More of an Accepter than a Lover.

Would you rather be curled up by a fire with a good book or out in nature hiking (or something)? Depends on my energy level…and the weather.

What book(s) [other than the Bible] have you read multiple times? List far too long, too many worthy of being read over and over.

Generally, what’s your favorite outdoor kind of place (mountains, beach, forest, etc)? Any place where the stars are the grandest view at night.

Where do you feel especially close to God? No one particular place.

Where do you spend too many hours a day that you shouldn’t? computer…other things to accomplish but someone posted a list of things, and I would rather answer this list than sweep the deck.

If you re-directed those hours, where would you put them for a more abundant life? My house and deck would be cleaner.

What’s stopping you? only me.

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #7

Blue.

A favorite hymn?

Be Thou My Vision/Amazing Grace

A favorite psalm?

Psalm 23

“Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” ~Hebrews 4:14-16

None.

Preaching.

Preaching.

Over/under-sleeping

Animal lover? What kind?

Dog.

Good book!

Stealing from God, I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist, Classical Arminianism, Every Good Endeavor, Meaning of Marriage, etc.

Not a fan of outdoors.

When meditating the scriptures and praying.

Reading things unrelated to my study.

Exercise.

(Jennifer Judson) #8

I love getting to know you all better. I also LOVE that God has given us the full spectrum of the rainbow to delight us. What’s even more amazing is that only a small portion of the spectrum is visible to the human eye. I can’t wait to get to heaven!

I guess you can see that as an artist color fascinates me.