Giving Tithe is Old Testament doctrine. Not New Testament

My fellow believers, hope you are all doing well. I myself am recovering from the great loss, I am sure heaven would have welcomed Ravi with magnificent gesture. He ran a good race.

Meanwhile let me give you a topic for Discussion here.

”Giving tithe is OT doctrine and not NT” this was the statement made by uncle today during dinner time, I tried my best to answer him and also imaged the OT on Jesus for a strong argument. But I would like to know how you guys would answer this question?

9 Likes

Hey Joshan, Yes Ravi is in paradise looking down on us. What a beautiful scene.

To answer your question, I will link you to an answer I gave to another post and another one below it which has a different view than mine. Discussion it is.

Hope it helps.
God Bless.

5 Likes

Dan, I had this right partially, but this thread did give me a complete confirmation.

I really appreciate it, thank you so much.

4 Likes

We are moving and God is helping us, we pray for more grace to also run our race well.

Nice question though quite controversial, I hope I will give a good attempt. Let’s first see the first time tithe was mentioned in the bible? It was Abraham paying it to Melchizedek (Gen 14:20), and that was before the written law was given by Moses to the people. Tithe was given to the priest, so as to assist the Priest, Levite, widows, orphans and foreigners, also for the house of the Lord to be with food (Num 18:20-32, Dut 26:12, Mal 3:10) Are all this people unavailable in our congregations today? Some people will say the Priest and the Levites had no inheritance, the question is how many churches do allow pastors to work(professionally)? And let’s remember Melchizedek was a king also and yet Abraham paid the tithe to him. Jesus saying to the Pharisee about tithe, that they ought to do faithfulness and justice without neglecting this (tithe undone) Read Matt 23:23. When the young ruler asked Jesus good master what must I do to be saved, Christ said keep the commandment, the young ruler said I have done that since I was a youth, Jesus said go and sell your property, give to the poor then come and follow me (Luke 19:16-22). Something I see there fascinates me, tithe started before the written law it was the father of faith honoring the priest and thanking God (Heb 7:1-2). I think tithe is even easier, but if we want to dig deeper and come to the new testament it’s “sell all and give to the poor not tenth”, Christ did not come to lower the bar but to raise it (Matt 5-7). So tithe is a starting point for Christian given and not the standard even in the old testament (we had first fruit, grain offering, fellowship offering etc.) and very more in the new testament (leading of the Holy spirit, his he leading you to give less?) Read Acts 2:44-47; 4:32-37, I think the question we need to ask is, the finance I have who owns it? Am I an owner or a steward? May God richly bless you all.

7 Likes

I heard a good podcast on this recently from the Bible Project July 14, 2016 Story:God and Money.

If anything, the new testament thing would be that God owns all your money and you should honor Him with it. God wants us to be generous people with everything we have. Tithe was 10% of everything. Including your first born! Plus they were called to give 10% to the poor. We are to honor God in all things especially our money.

6 Likes

That’s an awesome answer @Elnathan. Am I am owner or a steward? This is the question we must ask to ourselves. Brilliant. Thank you so much.

1 Like

I will surely track down the podcast. Thank you so much.

1 Like

@joshan.daniel2 You know your uncle better than I do and you also heard the words, so my response may be off target. If I am off target, please feel free to help me to correct course.

If someone were to say, “X is OT doctrine and not NT,” to me, I would first respond with an interested look on my face, “Really? What are your reasons for saying that?” This question expresses my desire to listen to the other person and gracefully assumes that the person has examined the issue enough to have multiple reasons for the opinion. How the person answers my question would guide the course of the conversation.

Assuming that your uncle is not looking for a quarrel, he needs to clarify what he means by “doctrine.” In theology, doctrine is a set of beliefs that guides behavior. Doctrine is not law. Law expresses doctrine. A doctrine can be stated as a fact, such as, “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery” (Exodus 20:2, ESV). The following Ten Commandments express that doctrine, but they are not doctrine. The same can be said of almost the entire corpus of OT law.

Tithing in the OT really stems from a tradition that Abraham started when he tithed to Melchizedek (Genesis 14:18-20). Abraham did not tithe as an end in itself. He tithed because he believed that Melchizedek was working in God’s service. Abraham expressed his love for “God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth” (Genesis 14:22b, ESV) through tithing. All forms of OT offering, including tithing, were intended to express this same love for God and the advancement of Heaven’s cause. These were not doctrines in themselves.

Fast forward to the NT. Tithing is expected, but never required. The nascent church gave “as any had need” (Acts 2:45b, ESV). People sold property and gave the proceeds to the Christian community (Acts 4:32-37). When Ananias sold some property and gave only part of the proceeds, Peter said, “While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal?” (Acts 5:4, ESV) This implies that Ananias was not required to bring anything. The Spirit killed him not for being “stingy,” but for lying about what he brought.

Nevertheless Paul writes in 1 Timothy 5:17-18:

Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer deserves his wages.” (ESV)

He also writes about his personal policy not to take advantage of his right as an apostle to be paid for his work:

Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard without eating any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock without getting some of the milk? …If we have sown spiritual things among you, is it too much if we reap material things from you? If others share this rightful claim on you, do not we even more? Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right…" (1 Corinthians 9:7, 11-12a, ESV)

Jesus pointed out that the poor widow gave much more with her mite than the rich people who gave of their excess (Mark 12:41-44). We tithe more than ten percent. We tithe from our hearts. Our tithe expresses our love for God and neighbor.

3 Likes

The tithe is something that is often a stumbling block in a person’s life, even for the Christian and especially in a day and time when it seems like everywhere around us we’re being told things that confuse tithes and offerings and where there is stark (and understandable) criticism of the abuse of tithe payers via misguided leaders.

There are some interesting passages in the New Testament which discuss the fact that it’s more important how we give than how much (though the 10% has its place in terms of carrying over from the Old Testament.)

We can turn to 2 Corinthians 9: 7 and see that the tithe is given as one has determined “in his heart” to give. This doesn’t mean a lack of determination means you get a pass for being stingy. Nowhere does the Word tell us to not do something that the Lord taught about simply because we’re in a bad mood or don’t feel like it. However, if a person is being forced into giving against his or her own free will by others who coerce or compel them to give, the tithe certainly isn’t given cheerfully. This doesn’t negate the principle, only the intention.

In Mark 12 we read a beautiful illustration of the difference between giving to gain and giving out of love. The woman gave what she had, not out of pride and certainly not with the thought of return. This nonsense of giving to get is one of the most heretical rip-offs of our time and has done great damage to the body.

There are many passages which teach us about giving. I would recommend each person read through them, study them, and present to God their desire to give. But Christianity is nothing if not a religion of practicality as well.

Many men were poor in the early days of the faith. Women lost husbands during times of persecution and illness and had to be cared for. Had people not given, these others would not have been cared for.

The same is true today. Tithing is a means, not an end, to fulfilling the Great Commission. Giving of the tithe pays more than salaries. It pays light bills, water bills, and other important bills necessary to keep a church going and reaching their local community.

Tithing is also part of our worship. Personally, I see a reason for the convenience of online giving, however, there’s something to be said for slipping some cash or a check into an envelope and placing it in the plate on Sundays as part of the worship.

As well, tithing commits you to your local body of believers. Where your heart is there your treasure is, is not just a tee-shirt motto. It’s a truth. And if your heart is with your brothers and sisters in Christ, then that is where your treasure should be as well.

Nothing in the New Testament negates the tithe, rather, it simply switches the giving of a tithe from a ceremonial command to a conviction of the heart.

May the Lord Jesus bless all who read and love His Word.

5 Likes

@LCWalker Thank you for your insightful post. Your concerns illustrate a dangerous shortcoming in the diminished view of OT principles espoused in the @joshan.daniel2’s uncle’s statement. Churches have to pay bills. Pastors need to feed their families. If I am capable of tithing to my church, I am morally obligated to do it. The widow commended by Jesus for her sacrificial giving puts me to shame, because she was “incapable” of tithing!

2 Likes

We can already see some brilliant answers.

This is what I have to say and it is not anything different. Everything we have belong to the Lord. I mean there is nothing that we can claim to be ours including every breath we take. In the same way, every penny we earn belong to the Lord. So, firstly we should be clear that we put God first in our life and give/dedicate everything to him that we have in our life.

Now coming to tithes, there are so many ways to look at it and scripture has many ways to deal with it. Ultimately, we have to end at - everything belong to the Lord!

Coming to Church, if someone is dedicated to full time ministry, if there is a place that is designated for fellowship, if there are any collective needs (furniture, AC, mics, sound system and so on) for the body of christ and if there are any outreach initiatives then tithe is a MUST. People who dedicate themselves fulltime for the church activities need to be taken care and supported by the body of christ, people who manage and arrange everything for the body of Christ on a full time basis need to be supported by the body of Christ, if there are outreach initiatives then body of christ must come together and donate and someone should manage it. There is dedicated full time staff who look into all these things so body of christ has to support them. If there is a designated place for body of christ to have fellowship then the rent, electricity, water, cleaning and maintenance (so on) is the responsibility of the body of the christ and there have to be dedicated full time staff looking after all this. So, the body of christ is responsible for all these things.

Now I really don’t understand when someone thinks there is no need to tithe and there is no set amount to tithe. I mean tithe is spiritually giving to God by in reality it is for the people, requirements and expenses of a ministry.

As I said, if you can give everything then give. If you want to give a certain amount of money every month then give. But if you justify not giving because of confusion between OT and NT then something is wrong.

There are some people who say, I need not to give because most people are giving and it is more than enough but the issue is you are not giving based on what is already there but you are giving it to the Lord. If you fear misuse of your tithe then you are in the wrong church and in the wrong place.

Either you don’t trust your fellow brothers and sisters in christ with whom you participate in communion or it is an issue with your heart and mind. If it is the latter then no matter where you go, you will step back from giving.

Just give and improve in your giving. Give where you belong to by understanding the need and also give outside where there is need. Giving has so much of scope and it cannot be limited to one thing.

I personally give 10% on a regular basis and I also give more when I get more. But I made 10% is for God’s ministry. Still I am bad at giving. I have a heart to give more but my mind is very vigilant.

3 Likes