Glorifying God and Worshipping Him

(Theja Tseikha) #1

Is there a difference between Glorifying God and Worshipping Him? And what is the highest purpose of life?

(SeanO) #2

@Theja Certainly the Westminster Catechism says “Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever”.

I think that “glorify” and “worship” are very close in meaning - both involve revering, honoring and obeying God because of who He is…

The original Hebrew word for glory - kabod - meant ‘weight’ or ‘heaviness’. When God is present He is ‘weighty’ - His presence evokes honor and love from those who honor Him. To glorify or worship Him is to acknowledge His weightiness even when we cannot feel its presence - to obey Him both in public and in secret and to honor Him as the source of all that is good, beautiful, true and worthy of praise.

(Ron Livaudais) #3

Theja, I like John Piper’s definition of Christian Hedonist: ‘God is most glorified when we are most
delighted in Him!’ His very Life living in us should permeate every part of our being. God can be
glorified in our worship of Him, while at the same time He is glorified in us as we deny ourselves,
pick up our cross daily and follow Him; not my will, but Your will be done.