God and Grammar

(Jamie Hobbs) #1

Just something a little more lighthearted today. Have you ever wondered why people assume God has perfect grammar? I mean, He is a maximally perfect Being, so He must have perfect grammar. But does He not transcend human speech? Sometimes we seem to think that God speaks in “thees” and “thous”, as if Moses heard those words come from the mouth of God. He gave Adam and Eve a language from nothing, He confounded all languages at Babel, and He spiritually augmented language at Pentecost. Perhaps it’s a cultural thing that makes us assume God has perfect grammar?

What’s the point I’m trying to make? God will speak to us in whatever manner and method that we’ll listen to. Visions, dreams, and other non-verbal communication are in His repertoire. Couldn’t He use cultural dialects, slang, or even improper English grammar to draw people to Him?

Just curious.

(Jean Daniel Slabbert) #2

@Jamie_Hobbs
I really like this sentence “God will speak to us in whatever manner and method that we’ll listen” and I believe it answers your question perfectly.
Personally, I know God speaks to me at my level. And the way He speaks to me is different to the way He speaks to my wife, Suzy, and to anyone else. He is a personal, loving God who desires intimacy with each of us. His relationship with each of us is personal and unique.
Thank you for this. It truly blessed me.

(Warner Joseph Miller) #3

1,000% agree!!! God meets us exactly where we are. I’d wager that God ain’t American nor does He only speak the “Queen’s English”. :joy: I’m certain of it!:joy::joy:

(Jean Daniel Slabbert) #4

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl: Couldn’t agree more!