God is a defender of widows, but what of those who are abused?

Ps 68:5 A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling… A variation of this promise is written in several places.
But, even in those times as in this day, there would have been broken families. Why is it not there that, He is a father to those whose earthly parents are harassing, and a defender of abused spouses. As in why is it not explicit, when the other verse is written over and over in the Bible?

@ChristinaGraceDanny

Hi Christina… Thanks for the question. I can honestly say I have no idea why it isn’t mentioned explicitly (maybe it even is and I don’t know about it… someone might come up with something that I don’t know about as there is a lot I don’t know). I can totally understand why you ask the question, though, because now (and I’m sure, as you’ve said, through time) this has always been a problem.

I can only say that there are probably a huge number of things that people go through that are not explicitly denounced by the Bible, but are at the very least implicitly dealt with or can be seen to be against God and his character. I certainly think that this is so in this case. If we think of Ephesians 5 which is, ironically I suppose, used to show the misogynistic nature of the Bible, it’s actually a cry against the “wisdom” of the day and commanding that a husband “love their wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her” (Eph 5:25). That is, a husband is to love their wife and put her first to the point of giving up his life for her… a direct command against abuse, I would think.

Added to that, further on, that a father is not to “exasperate [their] children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord” (Eph 6:4). Back then and I’m very sure still now fathers probably have a tendency to ignore or be overly harsh with their children… this is another call that Christian fathers are to not follow society, but to treat their children in a godly fashion.

As I say, I can’t tell you definitively why it might be omitted from the Bible, but I think you can be absolutely sure that the Bible is against any abuse, oppression or harassment.

Not sure if that helps, but they’re my first thoughts. I can only imagine that for so many people this an incredibly real and immediate problem and I’m not sure I would have any advice… but I completely trust that the God I know in the Bible is heartily against all such abuses. Maybe someone else has something else to add that is better?

I’m not sure where you are coming from personally with this question, but I hope and pray that God grants you wisdom as you search for the answers.

1 Like

Broken families were a thing but not the same as today’s. Yes there was dysfunction but in their society women didn’t have a lot of options. Yet and still in the new testament you see the order given of how a man is to love his wife:

25 Husbands, love your wives just as Christ loved the church and gave himself for her 26 to sanctify her by cleansing her with the washing of the water by the word, 27 so that he may present the church to himself as glorious – not having a stain or wrinkle, or any such blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In the same way husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one has ever hated his own body but he feeds it and takes care of it, just as Christ also does the church, 30 for we are members of his body. 31 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and will be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. 32 This mystery is great – but I am actually speaking with reference to Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless, each one of you must also love his own wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

As for parents and their children:
4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but raise them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

These things are instructions on how to treat others. God is a defender but he is also a teacher. Sometimes his way of defending is by teaching individuals how to never go down the road of abuse in the first place. The Bible isn’t going to have written every situation in this world but it can and does lead us to ultimately know how to love others and not allow abuse or other types of negative factors into our relationships.

Hi, @ChristinaGraceDanny! Can I ask what you think of when you hear the title ‘defender’? If God is a Defender, does that mean there are certain things that should/should not happen?

But more to your question…

I do think that those whose parents or spouses are abusive could be thought of as orphans and widows. Even though father, mother, husband, wife may still be physically alive and occupying the same house, there is such a thing as being abandoned in that space. In Biblical times, orphans and widows experienced a deprivation that threatened them with destitution. I don’t think much has changed since then, but I so think that with changing societies, many other vulnerable people could fit under that umbrella.

1 Like