God is light

(Shane Kennett) #1

Hello,

I’ve experienced something that is very difficult to explain. While in deep prayer and meditation a flood of brightness seemed to be poured over me. I was sitting, and leaned back in my chair and felt and overwhelming warmth over me, and then I saw a bright lite as I leaned my head back, almost as though I was getting my hair washed in a hair stylist chair and sink.

I’ve been very reluctant to share this experience with anyone because it was so strange, and most people probably would say I’ve lost my mind.

I recently focused on 1 John, and it gave me a sense of comfort with the experience I had. My question is, has anyone ever experienced this, or am I just crazy?

In His name,
Shane

2 Likes
(Sally Alexander) #2

Shane,

I understand your reluctance to share. I am glad He has given you peace and comfort from His Word.
Several Christians I know have also had unique experiences, and I have felt His overwhelming warmth and Love. Your experience of brightness is similar to Saul’s on the road to Damascus, which also gives some Biblical support to it.

For me, He has used such experiences to teach me:

1. This is His life, and no longer mine,
    a. He can do with it as He pleases.
    b. He is able to protect His own. (Exodus)
  2. For one rooted in the logic of math and the proofs of science,
    a. He was teaching me it is not always about my study, for His thoughts are FAR above ours.
    b. He was stretching me beyond my head and leading me into His heart.
    c. He was challenging me to lay down my comfort and accept His gift.
  3. This is a relationship and He can reach touch us in the depth of our being as no one else is able. There is a reason He tells us we are His bride/wife.
1 Like
(Shane Kennett) #3

Thank you Sally. This is literally the first time I’ve shared this with anyone. Reading 1 John helped me have more confidence the experience was of the Lord, but I hadn’t thought about Paul’s experience.

God bless,
Shane

1 Like
(Brian Lalor) #4

Shane,

I am delighted for you that you have experienced God in such a special way. He definitely is light. We learn in Genesis that he created light before he created the sun and in Revelation that he is the light in the new Jerusalem, and that there is no need for the sun then. The kind of experience you had is quite rare I would say. We also need to be careful as we learn in 2 Cor 4:11 that the devil can mascarade as an angel of light.

I had a similar experience back in 2005. I was traveling alone from Jakarta, Indonesia to Hanoi, Vietnam. On the bus from Laos to Hanoi I started to feel sick. I arrived in Hanoi passed out in a hotel and had to be brought to hospital. The doctors could not figure out what was wrong with me and my condition was worsening. On about the 4th day I felt love enter the hospital room. As you just described God as light, I believe he revealed himself to me as love. I later learned that is in 1 John 4. The next morning I began to improve.

I have not experienced God like that in a long time. I have a theory that in that time before my salvation, God was wooing me as a bridegroom woos the girl he loves. My relationship with God has changed quite a bit now, it has become more about commitment, but I still spend hours each week waiting on him to reveal himself like that to me again, and just being with him, whatever he wants that to look like.

I cannot wait to see him face to face as we all will one day. I encourage you to keep pressing in, in prayer and meditation as you are.

2 Likes
(Sally Alexander) #5

I agree, Brian, which is what often makes these so challenging. For me, it often comes down to trusting Him, that He is able to protect me and keep me from the enemy.

Another important point is to judge the fruit.

1. The enemy is not likely to draw us closer to Him, for he is at war with Him and seeks to lead us away. If we are drawn to Him, it is more likely from Him.
  2. Does it encourage within us a pride of experience, or a humility that we are dust and He is NOT!

I know there are other tests. I have encountered a ‘Christian’ whose experience was so inconsistent with His Word and character that He led me to challenge her. I believe there were 9 verses/points He showed me to ask her. I no longer can find the letter, but her response said everything - she didn’t know His Word, and didn’t need to, because she knew Him. To me that confirmed it was not of Him.

Here are some of the many verses that help me as I consider this:
[Psa 22:3 KJV] 3 But thou [art] holy, [O thou] that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
[Pro 18:10 KJV] 10 The name of the LORD [is] a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.
[Jhn 10:5 KJV] 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
[Jas 4:7 KJV] 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

At the time of the experience, was I submitting to Him, yielding myself to Him in thanksgiving, prayer and praise? If so, I am in Him, Who is my Strong Tower. Was it consist with His Word and character, or was it a stranger? If we don’t know, ask, He wants us to follow Him more than we want to follow Him. He is our Creator, He knows how to speak Truth to us, if we are willing to hear and obey it.

1 Like
(Shane Kennett) #6

Thanks Brian and Sally, I just read 2 Cor 11, thank you for the scripture.

The other night while praying a thought came to mind, we can always seek the Word, and then the Church, to verify what is happening in our lives.

One thing that gives me comfort is knowing that Satan will never acknowledge Jesus is the risen Son of God. In all my experiences with our Father, supernatural or not, I’m grounded in my faith God has given me that Christ is our redeemer. Praise be to God!

I’m hoping this group can help me challenge anything that could possibly be from the enemy. And, I hope the Church can help me discern what is from our Father.

The moment of what I can only call a baptism of light happened many months ago, and it scared me. I’ve been in the Word, I’ve prayed, I’ve meditated, and I think about that night over and over in my mind and heart. I have confidence, even more now with your feedback, that it was a supernatural experience with God. I just still don’t understand it, which for some reason I fear Our Lord because of the experience, and yet still found so much comfort from it.

Thank you so much for your responses.

With love,
Shane

2 Likes
(Olivia Davis) #7

Thanks, @Shane_Kennett, for sharing your experience with us. I think everyone has given such helpful answers. I really admire your prayerful response and how you wanted to really see if it was from God. I think it’s wonderful that you found comfort in it :slight_smile:

I’m curious to know more about your experience, @Sal, with your friend. Did you continue the conversation after she said she didn’t need to know the Word? How do we respond to statements like that in love? I’m asking because I’ve had similar experiences in conversations and struggled thinking through them afterward.

1 Like
(Sally Alexander) #8

Thanks for asking, Olivia.

I did continue the conversation.
She later shared her experience with her pastor, whom she respected and trusted. He also questioned the experience. She felt very strongly that she had been given a gift from our Father, and felt uncomfortable with those who disagreed, regardless of her relationship with them or how gently they spoke. She stopped communicating with me and I believe she left that church

Yes, I agree with you, there are several things we should consider as we think through these. For me, I have found these to be important points:

1. We are to humbly examine ourselves and ask Him if we have contributed to the results, in this case, the end of the friendship. Were we walking in His Will/Truth/Love or following our own? Is there something He is trying to teach us through this?
  2. Have we done our part? I have found Ezekiel 33:1-6 helpful as I consider this. Just because we follow His leading does not guarantee that we see the results we hope for, but we still are to do it.
  3. Where are they? There could be many issues, but my friend seemed to have already made up her mind on the direction she would go. I cannot remember where it is right now (Jeremiah?), but there is a verse that indicates that He shares Truth if we are willing to follow the Truth (Him).
    Another way to put it in “human” terms: If we have already made up our minds what we are going to do, regardless of what He says, why should He “waste His time” sharing Truth with us? (like casting pearls before swine. Matt 7:6)
    Of course, there are always exceptions, but as a general rule: There is a time and a place for everthing, and if they turn their backs, we pray for them (and often grieve the loss), honor their free will, and let them go their way, just as He does. He is a gentleman and does not force Himself on others.

What have you learned through your similar experiences?

PS.

I just noticed that I missed this excellent question. We were emailing, so I had time to pray and carefully research each point before I responded, but I think you may mean more than that. Could the question be accurately restated as: “What do we say to someone who says they don’t need to know His Word because they know Him?”