God makes Suffering?

Hi guys
I had another deep conversation with my friend Cameron, and during it he came up with this thought:

God provided us free will when he created us, and we used that free will to bring suffering in the first place, therefore it’s Gods fault for creating us in the first place.

I understand that this has a logical fallacy, but I’m not sure how to approach it. I’ve tried asking him if it were better for us to die in that case, but he still remained adamant that it’s Still Gods fault, since he still created us in the first place.

What’s the best way to approach this? I’m planning on trying to see his moral reasoning in why he thinks suffering is bad, but I think that goes away from the topic.

2 Likes

@AlphaOmega You can’t judge God’s story until you read the ending. Yes, suffering is terrible. But the promise of God in Christ is that suffering is temporary and that the joys of eternity will make suffering seem as nothing. While that is hard, or even perhaps impossible, for us to comprehend right now, that is the nature of faith. Do we believe God will keep His promise to wipe away every tear and fill us with joy, glory and immortality or not?

Imagine if you stopped reading in the middle of a classic tale like The Prince and the Pauper. What would you think of an author who leaves his characters in a dungeon without any hope in the world? But if you read to the end of the story, the poor boy who was abused by his father is delivered to the King’s palace, justice done upon the wicked and joy restored.

Romans 8:18 - I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

Hebrews 11:6 - Now without faith it is impossible to please God, since the one who draws near to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Hebrews 12:2 - fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

If you have not already read them, you may find the following resources helpful :slight_smile:

https://connect.rzim.org/t/vince-vitale-why-suffering/7386

1 Like