God our mother?

Greetings friends,

I was recently approached by a group of complete strangers at a mall who asked me a question on a topic I’ve never heard of. They ask me, “Have you ever heard about god our mother?”

Now, my first thought when I heard the question was that they were referring to God the father as God the mother because I’ve heard that somewhere before, but when I asked what they meant by that, they responded, “you know about God the father right? Well there’s also god the mother and she’s the one that gives us salvation”. I asked if they meant Mary, to which they say no. I then asked if this was in the bible by chance and they directed me to Rev 22:16-17.

So, I personally didn’t see the connection and I told them I believed that salvation is through Christ and I’d love to show them why, to which they responded “I guess you don’t believe right, that’s ok, as long as you know it right there in the bible” and walked away. This encounter has left me with two questions.

1. how prevalent is this teaching around the world? Because it’s the first I’ve heard of it so would love to know if anyone of you guys in other regions have encountered it.

2. are there any good arguments to this point I can look at? Because I feel like the group I encountered misrepresented the position to a point (or so I would like to believe). Would love to examine one to get a good idea where this is coming from but found nothing on Google.

I mean no offense if anyone believes this, I’m genuinely curious and would love to hear from you if you do so I can have some clarity. Thank you for reading and your comments :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They sound like the “Mother God cult” aka World Mission Society Church of God. They were founded in Korea. From what I understand they believe that God had a wife and they came here to earth as humans. They also believe in modalism. Here is an article about them on the got questions website.

The WMSCOG teaches that salvation is in the names of Jehovah, Jesus, and Ahn Sahng-Hong, and that baptism is required for salvation. The Bible declares that salvation is through Jesus Christ alone (Acts 4:12; John 14:6). Salvation is in the name of Jesus Christ. To claim salvation in the name of Ahn Sahng-Hong is blasphemy. Requiring anything in addition to faith in Jesus Christ for salvation is a works-based salvation. To add anything to the gospel is to say that Jesus’ death on the cross was insufficient to purchase our salvation. The Bible says that Jesus’ death alone paid for our sins (Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus’ righteousness is appropriated to our account by faith alone (John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:8-9). Therefore, baptism cannot be a requirement for salvation.

Just from that paragraph from the article, you can see right there they seem to be very confused and believe in some heretical things. The best arguments I think would come from the bible itself. Even in the scriptural reference they gave you it’s talking about the church. There are many references where the church is called the Bride of Christ. All your best arguments will be right there. Unless they have a different bible what they carry already says different from what they believe. Which is why I think they walked away from you so quickly. It would be too hard to explain right there on the spot if the individual already knows the bible well and can point out their errors and back it up with scripture.

God Bless :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Luna is probably more accurate about their affiliation than my initial hunch…

I would have initially guessed them declaring “God our Mother” as proponents of the Mother Earth movement popularly called Gaia. (basically New Age)

Gaia is a revival of Paganism that rejects Christianity, considers Christianity its biggest enemy, and views the Christian faith as its only obstacle to a global religion centered on Gaia worship and the uniting of all life forms around the goddess of “Mother Earth”…

http://environment-ecology.com/religion-and-ecology/276-gaia-worship-the-new-pagan-religion.html

1 Like

To augment Luna’s reply, here is another conversation on Connect about the World Mission Society to give you a bit more information and context:

3 Likes

A couple of points that come to mind when I imagine engaging with them are:

1. God is both ‘masculine’ and ‘feminine’…having both ‘maternal’ and ‘paternal’ qualities. (I use quotation marks because those words can be define a myriad of ways.) Scripture uses imagery that incorporates both pictures.
  2. In the use of Rev. 22, were they interpreting ‘the Bride’ to be God the Mother? Traditional orthodoxy (as I understand it) interprets the Bride as referring to the church.
4 Likes

They were referring to god the father and mother as two separate persons from my understanding and yes they were referring to the bride as god the mother which is why I didn’t see the connection to the argument from the text.

3 Likes

Thank you for asking about this. I had come across something regarding this but have never met anyone who held this belief. maybe I can learn something too!

1 Like

Actually just 6 months ago I was approached by 3 women who were attempting to preach the same to me in the mall and then also on another occasion, in the same month another woman approached me. It was honestly scary thinking it was so close to home. I was also embarrassed thinking it should be us real Christians out there and spreading His Real Word. Long story short, I got her number and said I was willing to speak to her over coffee and said that it would be great if she could hear what I had to say as well. The day comes to meet and she actually brings another person more experienced than her and almost like a team leader to talk with me. I did some research on Ahn Songh Hong and presented things before them and attempted to show them how they were twisting scripture and what was actually being said. When I proposed certain questions, she kept silent and tried to distract, the other girl who had initially approached me almost seemed like she understood. I mentioned the Jeremiah 7:18 verse and still no response. They were hung up on the sabbath day and the book of revelations scripture- ‘The bride and spirit says come’, and the ‘God made man in his image’ scripture so it there must be a ‘woman’. I’m the end, she was not open to listening or understanding what the true gospel was and how she was misquoting scripture and context as well. I don’t think she realized I was well versed and would throw her off with my questions so she got very frustrated in the end. It truly broke my heart and I still pray for them. All we can do is give His message in love. They seem to know the Bible well and honestly any person not well versed in scripture will think these people know what they are talking about and fall for their beliefs.
Thank you again for presenting this topic. I hope it helps everyone on here on how to approach them for God’s glory.

9 Likes

I am so impresed, Shirley @shirleyj, that you had the courage and love for these people to challenge them. Obviously, they have believed a lie. You may not have seen an immediate change of heart in these two people, but God’s Word will not return void. I’m sure it penetrated their hearts and minds. Hopefully, the scales will be removed from their eyes one day. God bless you.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Luna @Luna. That was very enlightening. I’ve never heard of this sect before. Now I know.
Blessings.

2 Likes

Hmmm… This is surprising and troubling as well. Haven’t heard of such teachings where I lived but it’s a good thing i’m kmowing about such movement now because its coming as a heads up for me.

1 Like

Hello. Every one, I am glad to read about this teaching, like Ajeh said it’s coming our way, thanks for the heads up… Seems to me as satan is desperately trying to do away with all who believe in the Holy gospel, Gods word.

1 Like

As an indigineous american we have described Father GOD & Mother EARTH, but that is as far as I ever got and I have great respect for both as I am not sure about the equivalency!

Sharon @sgewehr, thank you so much for your encouragement!! Amen! I believe it and will pray the scales be removed and not one word be in void!! :raised_hands::pray:. All for His Glory!! :raised_hands:. Thank you again, you are much appreciated!! God bless!!