God Robbers?

“Honor the LORD with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase;”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭NKJV

“Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.”
‭‭Malachi‬ ‭3:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the LORD of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.”
‭‭Malachi‬ ‭3:10‬ ‭NASB

Is it possible? That we be so ungrateful and selfish to rob a parent, a friend, an employer? Our Heavenly Father? Can we be so evil? To rob a being so high and sacred; and whose glory so magnifies the thievery! Is it possible for us be so irrational and desperate…Yes, says God, “Ye have robbed Me.” And the charge is leveled against those who are to be found in the house of God. Who has not robbed God of land or belongings?
Our wealth is not our own, We are simple stewards. It always looks suspicious when a gentleman’s steward becomes very rich, and dies affluent. Substance is entrusted to its occupiers, for certain purposes plainly laid down in the Scripture. Do you discharge those claims? How much do some unjustly expend; in table-luxuries, in costly dress, in magnificent furniture? Who has not robbed God of time? The Sabbath. Our youth-time, so often squandered away in vanity, folly, and vice. All our moments and opportunities are His: and He commands us to redeem the time. Who has not robbed God of the heart?
The fear, the confidence, the gratitude, the attachment of the heart, we have transferred from the Creator, God over all, blessed for evermore. And may not the same be said of our talents — whether learning, or the powers of conversation, or the retentiveness of memory, or our influence over others? Let us not affect to deny the charge; but let us repair to the footstool of mercy, and cry, “If Thou, Lord, shouldst mark iniquity, O Lord, who shall stand?”

Thoughts?
Matt

Excerpts From: William Jay-The Christian Contemplated

2 Likes

From the parable of the talents we learn that we are very much held accountable for the gifts we are entrusted with. The commandment is “Occupy until I come back”. For those who did well, there was reward. For those who sat on their giftings, they were taken away. Are we robbing God when we are not investing our stewardship resources in Kingdom activities? Maybe. But God owns the “cattle on 1000 hills”. He does not NEED anything. More so, we are robbing ourselves, stripping away the chance we can hear at the Judgment Seat of Christ “Well done, my good and faithful servant”.

3 Likes