God´s Love

Can we do something real bad that makes God love us less?

2 Likes

Hi Alvaro,

What a great question and one I have asked myself before. Lamentations 3.22-23 tells us,

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.

His love for us is continually perfect and is based on who He is, His eternally impeccable and flawless character and NOT on our behavior or our righteousness, because the prophet Isaiah in the Old Testament, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, makes very clear that our good works are like filthy rags. Isaiah 64.6

The Bible also states in Isaiah 1.18 that our sins are like scarlet. The red color of scarlet was extracted from an insect in Biblical times and was one of the most difficult dyes to remove from clothing. I have heard it mentioned that in this reference it means double-dyed. Dipped twice in the dye. It carries with it a picture of sin so deep and ingrained that only the work of God in our life can bring about forgiveness, cleansing, and change.

The Bible is completely full of stories of God running after, pleading with, and calling out to individual sinners, nations and even the whole world. From cover to cover we see a God who is more ready to forgive than to condemn.

If we need forgiveness, God promises in 1 John 1.9 that if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. This is just one of many verses on the forgiveness of God towards the repentant sinner.

If we need any help of any kind, He is our faithful and merciful High Priest who understands our struggle. Hebrews 2. 17

As humans, it is so easy to believe that our worth in the eyes of God and His love for us is based on us. Our effort, our goodness, our trying. The whole message of the cross is mercy and grace.

Mercy - I don’t get what I do deserve (hell) when I believe in Jesus.
Grace - I get what I don’t deserve (forgiveness and eternal life) when I trust Jesus and His completed work on the cross.

I hope this has been an encouragement to you and if I have said anything that doesn’t make sense or is not clear, please feel free to let me know. I am interested in knowing your thoughts.

Your input and post are welcome on Connect and I am thankful for your question.

Mary Beth

1 Like

Evening Alvaro,

Welcome to RZIM Connect, hope you not only find answers to your questions but also provide answers to ours.

If I were to answer this at work or on the street the shortest answer I would give is: -

Our Salvation is by faith not actions, there is only one unforgivable sin, which is to blaspheme against and / or denounce the power of the Holy Spirit.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hello, Alvara @frog9boy7. I’m so glad you have felt free to ask this question on Connect. I hope we’ll have more challenging questions from you. Welcome.
I’d like to ask you 4 questions: Which side of salvation is this question coming from? Are you asking if someone has sinned so badly God will not save him? Or are you asking if a believer commits an egregious sin, will God stop loving him? Or is there something else behind your question?
First, we have to address the character of God. As Mary Beth @MaryBeth1 put it so well, God’s love is not dependent upon what we do or don’t do. What we have to remember is God’s love is constant. It is not in His nature to love us more. Nor can He love us less because God does not change. (Malachi 3: 6). James 1:17 also affirms the unchanging nature of God. So, that should establish the answer to your stated question.
Having said that, I will add to what has already been said by the others. I believe their answers deal mostly with initial salvation. Scripture says that God is not willing that ANY should perish, so his patience is to that end (2 Pet. 3:8-10). But what if we are already a believer, can we do something so bad that God will love us less–or stop loving us? Romans 8:31-36 tells us that NOTHING can separate us from God’s love. And, even if we do sin, we have a “lawyer” ever interceding on our behalf–that would be Christ, Himself.
Satan would love to put a guilt trip on us and make us believe that we have done something so terrible, and God is so holy, that God can no longer love us…we’ve blown it. But we also must remember that Satan is the father of lies (John 8:44). He is also a roaring lion, seeking those he can devour (1 Pet. 5: 8).
King David was a man after God’s own heart (1 Sam.13:18), meaning that God saw a heart that was tender toward Him, a man who sought after and obeyed Him, etc. But David committed adultery with Bathsheba and then had her husband killed. Yet, God still loved David and forgave him. However… and this is what we have to understand… just like David, there are consequences for our actions. David reaped the consequences of losing the child born to him and Bathsheba, and his life was marked with strife from that point on. While we now live in an age of grace, God still allows us the consequences of our sin. It’s not to make us feel guilty, but to keep our hearts ever looking toward His mercy and grace. It is His love that disciplines us for our good (Hebrews 12: 6).

David @David_Cieszynski mentioned blaspheming against the Holy Spirit–often called the “unpardonable sin”. That topic has plagued believers for a long time. I won’t try to go into all the theology behind it because I don’t think that’s your question. However, I used to teach a women’s Bible study in an adult prison. That question frequently came up from the inmates fearing that they had committed the “unpardonable sin” and that there was now no hope for them. My only response was that if they were afraid they had committed such a sin, then that was their assurance that they hadn’t. Their hearts would have been calloused and indifferent had they committed the “unpardonable sin”.
I hope I’ve covered the bases for the basis of your question. I would like to know a little more as to what, specifically, lies behind your question in case there is more to respond to.
Blessings.