God's forgiveness

I am begining to sincerely seek for divine affirmations as i backslide more and more. I have huge doubts in mind as to whether God would still forgive me of my sins because i often break my promise with God. My mind is filled with regret, embarrassement and afraid of God’s wrath because i offended my God over and over, breaking my promises uncountable times.
Am ashamed at the same time feel very undeserving of God’s forgiveness.
Please help me in your prayers, dear friends as to whar should i do.

2 Likes

@Tsilise God always forgives if we are sincere. Think about the Christian life like learning to ride a skateboard - it’s not easy at first! In fact, sometimes it is really, really hard. But if you ever watch the kids in the skate park - those little dudes don’t give up! And then five years later they are doing 1040s…

Try an approach like this when you sin:

• confess to God and receive forgiveness
  • ask yourself ‘why did I do that?’ or ‘what triggered that behavior’ or ‘what am I thinking wrongly that is causing this and how can Scripture address it?’ - try to identify the root of the behavior - pray to the Lord Jesus to give you wisdom to overcome that temptation
  • get back up, dust yourself off and keep fighting - God doesn’t give up on us!

I John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

When I was in high school this song meant a lot to me - I wanted God to change me from the inside out. I knew I messed up a lot, but I also knew I loved Jesus. So I just kept praying and seeking and praying and seeking and confessing and learning. And you know what? It took time and a lot of hard work and what you might even call suffering, but the Lord really did change me from the inside out!!!

Never give up, never surrender :slight_smile: Fight the good fight of the faith.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot, my friend

2 Likes

@Tsilise Sure thing - forgot to mention, I am not there yet :slight_smile: But it is much, much better as we grow in our walk. I really like what Paul says in Philippians - he knows he is not perfect, but man - he is going to chase after Jesus with every ounce of energy in his being.

Philippians 3:12-14 - Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

2 Likes

It indeed lighten my heavy laden heart, dear friend. Thanks be to God for his infinite and unconditional provision of forgiveness and Grace. Do uphold me in your prayers, brother in Christ.

3 Likes

Hi @Tsilise, I’ve found this song very helpful during periods of fight - whether it’s a fight against my flesh or on spiritual level - just playing it in the background, even when having a nap :slight_smile: Break every chain

3 Likes

God Bless you, Brother, I pray you find comfort and refuge in God, heal and can forgive yourself too.
I just thought I’d share this quote, it is a message that applies so well to how our Heavenly Father treats and looks at us…

“To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.”
G.K. Chesterton…

May God Bless and keep you,
Jo

2 Likes

Thank you and God bless you too

1 Like

Hi Tsilise, thanks for being brave to share your challenges in this area. It is definitely not an easy area to open up to share, and I am sure that it has been a constant struggle for you on a daily basis.

In fact, one of the key characters in the bible had the same issue as you, our dear friend Paul:

For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, cit is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. (Romans 7-15-20)

Even one of history’s best preacher had the same problem you have. So rest assured you are not alone in this.

============

One thing I’d like to share is that, there is no such thing as “backsliding” as a Christian.

Once saved, always saved!

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

I think it is pretty much a very simple system that God created. All you need to do is to believe in Jesus Christ, and you are granted everlasting life. Don’t let the Enemy rob you of your peace and joy by instilling doubt into your mind that you can actually lose your salvation, or that you can lose your right standing with God. The Enemy is trying to accuse you of crimes which you have committed (yes, you may have), but they are all paid for by the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. The debt has not just been paid, it was an overpayment, which is why Jesus Christ rose from the dead.

For the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down. (Revelation 12:10)

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10)

Your right standing was bought with the blood of Jesus Christ. You did not do anything to earn that position, and neither can anything you do cause you to lose this position as well. Sometimes, we forget that our Saviour is so much more powerful and almighty, and think that our actions and deeds supersede that of what Christ has done at calvary. Christ died for the punishment of past, present, and future sins. To claim that our future sins need to be paid for again, is like saying that Christ needs to come down and be crucified another time. No sin is too big for Christ to handle.

============

Personally, thinking that you have lost favour with God or that you will incur God’s wrath will bring you into a downward spiral of condemnation rather than lift you out of the pit. That is because, you have sinned, and you think that you have lost your right standing with God. You will feel more condemned, until you reach a point where you feel that, “Since I have already lost my right standing with God with my actions, and I cannot obtain it back again, why not just continue to sin more? It doesn’t make a difference isn’t it?” That was what went through my mind when I sinned and felt that I lost my access to God, or that I fear coming to Him because I was worried about His wrath.

To me this is like the days of Noah, when I swore that the waters of Noah would never again cover the earth. So now I have sworn not to be angry with you, never to rebuke you again. (Isaiah 54:9)

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
The verse has a 2nd part claiming that there are conditions, but the 2nd part is not found in the original scriptures, and were put in by translators who felt that it may become more accurate.

As long as the rainbow exists on earth, that is God’s promise that He will never be angry at you again. He might get hurt when you sin and hurt yourself, but isn’t that what a loving Father would feel?

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:11)

Let me encourage you and say that your Father in heaven will never curse you if you sin. He is like the Father of the prodigal child, always looking out daily to wait for you to come back home. Whether you come back home (to the fellowship of the church or not), you are still His son. Your status is the same wherever you go. A $1,000,000 note might become dirty, worn out, or even thrown into a pit, but the value of the note remains the same regardless.

Only when one is confident that their right standing remains, that you will still dare to come to the Father’s throne and seek His help in whatever situation you have gotten yourself into. Isn’t that what every Christian should be doing (to seek God’s help for their situations)? Don’t run away from the Solution Himself (which is what the Enemy is trying to do), but run towards His open arms instead. If you were (or are) a father yourself, and your children has fallen short in some areas, wouldn’t you want them to run to you instead of away?

============

The fact that you feel condemned, is because you have been touched by God, and no longer have a heart of stone but a heart of flesh, which is good news indeed. But don’t let your condemnation tear you away from fellowship with God. Remember that the bible says to “confess” (metanoia in Greek - which actually means to change your mindset). It is not what we imagine a usual “confession” to be.

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 36:26)

So when the Accuser comes to you and tell you of the things you did wrong, or the things right that you did not do enough, agree with him. But tell him that because of that, Jesus Christ came down and not only paid for all the wrongs, but did all the things right, so that we can enjoy our status as children of God. Turn your eyes away from self (condemnation, lack, etc) and fix your eyes on the perfection of Jesus Christ and the finished work. That is the true meaning of confession (metanoia).

I hope that this encourages you to pick yourself up and then empowers you to carry yourself out of the pit that you have fallen into.

============

PS: Just a little nugget here, is that God doesn’t always work in the ways that we want Him to work (God, please send me a bird to my window sill to sing our national anthem so that I know this is what You want me to do.) And many times, God likes to speak to us, through people, that’s why he sent the prophets, and the disciples. In our modern day world, that would be your counsel of friends (who have your best interest in their hearts), or maybe your local church or cell group.

3 Likes

Amazing! very incisive and comforting and liberating. It is indeed because of people like you in this community that I have the courage to speak up something as personal as this; all these sincere, grace and caring hearts build my trust and enables a process in restoring my relationship with Christ. I never ever feel even a tinge of condemnation, judgement and ill-concieved voices here in this community.
Thanks a lot, dear friend. May God bless you richly. You have touched the very nerve of my struggle and yet provide a balm of amazing Grace of Christ.

2 Likes