God's spirit

(Nii Amarfio) #1

The Bible tells us in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And his spirit moved upon the waters. I had no problem with this till today. If God is a spirit how come he still has a spirit. Or does God being a spirit mean something totally different from or normal conception of a spirit?

1 Like
(Kathleen) #2

Hello! Just some quick clarification questions… What is a ‘normal conception of a spirit’? And are you asking about the substance of God…as if His spirit is distinct from Him as a spirit?

(Lou Hablas) #3

Hi Nii…Interesting question and it caused me to pause and ponder: Is God, in fact, a spirit? I’m taking a quick break from work-related things, so don’t have a lot of time to elaborate, but will offer this:

If God is omnipotent - all-powerful - and omniscient - all-knowing - and omnipresent - everywhere at once, is He in fact a spirit as our temporal minds might consider a spirit to be, or as all of the ‘omni’s’ would suggest, is He something much more magnificent and beyond our ability to fathom?

1 Like
(SeanO) #4

@Niiokai I think your confusion is resulting from spirit with a little ‘s’ and Spirit with a capital ‘S’. God is spirit with a little ‘s’ - as it says clearly in John 4:24. And He is also triune - consisting of three coequal Persons - Father, Son and Spirit. Most modern translation use a capital ‘S’ in Genesis 1:2.

Hope that is helpful :slight_smile:

John 4:24 - God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and truth.

Genesis 1:2 - Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

2 Likes
(Nii Amarfio) #5

@KMac .

I hope I’m not being reductionistic but I’ve always perceived spirits as unseen ethereal entities (not that I know of any seen ones) which affect the corporeal in a good or adverse way. Like in the case of Saul, an evil spirit plagued him until David played his harp. For Samson, the spirit helped him to accomplished some marvelous feats.

I’ve also always thought spirits were ends in themselves i.e they were either good or corrupted in themselves depending on whether they were from God or the devil. Thus, they did not need any other entity (such as other spirits) to make them what they are

(Nii Amarfio) #6

@SeanO so when Jesus says God is spirit he means God, as the Trinity, is spirit?

1 Like
(SeanO) #7

@Niiokai That would be my understanding. It is also possible Jesus was chiefly referring to the Father, but that would not change the fact that the Trinity (God) is spirit.

1 Like
(C Rhodes) #8

@Niiokai. I think SeanO highlights the quiet reality that GOD is both spirit and Spirit. That would strain the parameters of our reality. Still, we are also both flesh and bone as well as spirit. That details the ability to commune with GOD in a variety of ways. With the heart, mind, body, and soul. Something covered in the functionality of the spirit man.

That almost sounds new age like. So, there is a good chance I am not being as clear as I should be. Let me conclude when GOD is involved nothing is impossible or improbable. Our flesh provides the only limit.

1 Like