God's Transforming Love

In Take Five this week, Nigerian minister and RZIM adjunct Hassan John draws on the words of Scripture, apologetics, and the context of West Africa to frame the power and depth of God’s transforming love through the lens of the Christian faith. In this episode, Hassan examines the imprint left on his nation by Western Christian missionaries and its implications for the understanding of love.

Love is a command, not just a feeling. Somehow, in the romantic world of music and theater we have made love to be what it is not. We have so mixed it with beauty and charm and sensuality and contact that we have robbed it of its higher call of cherishing and nurturing. - Ravi Zacharias

We understand love in its purity in the death of Jesus Christ on the Cross.

Friends, how much do we love one another? And how, importantly, do we love Jesus Christ? He has already demonstrated his love by dying on the Cross to set aside the sin that will lead us to death and permanent separation from him.

Make it Personal

• How do you think of love? How does the culture around you think about love?

• What is the importance of showing love to one another?

6 Likes

Thank you Hassan as this is such an important reminder. It is this kind of love that is needed so Jesus may be lifted up and draw all men unto him!

1 Like

Thank you, Hassan. Very challenging questions. You reminded me of a catchphrase that became popular here a number of years ago: love is love.

I think this actually means love is what each of us decide. And as you say, that is often decided by the prevailing cultural view. Thank you for reminding me that God’s version of love is not just an opinion, but it is made tangible through the death of Jesus Christ and livable through His resurrection.

Has anyone been challenged with the idea of love is love? How did you respond?

2 Likes

It is interesting how Ravi’s quote above describes “love” in the many ways we as mankind have presented it. Yet God commands love. The way we are to interact with all mankind after we first love God Himself. Love is said to last and be the greatest attribute we may ever possess. Apostle Paul builds on this in 1 Corinthians 13 and sums it up with verse 13, “But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.” NASB

Hassan ties the calling of mankind by the Lord to “love” to God’s action taken in Christ Jesus at the cross and resurrection. God’s grace in Jesus transforms our most inner person to know how to love.

I really do find this developed well when Jesus explains to His inside circle that He is in fact God in the flesh, then delivers the big “if” to them all. “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." John 14:15 NASB. I like how Hassan asks how are we loving others? Because Jesus knows who are His disciples by how we love, the fellowship, our families, coworkers, enemies and everyone. That is what I find most challenging.

1 Like

Thank you for these beautiful truths. Also thank you for sharing the beauty of your land, the background and the sounds. I am a small farmer. I love the sounds of chickens. I was a pediatric nurse and I love the sounds of children. I see Gods love in your words and your world.