Gods will: only 1 correct path?

Can we do whatever we want as long as it is morally righteous or is there a perfect will of God? Does the car wait to be told where to go first or does it move first and then wait to be steered?
Can something be sin to one person but not to another besides adultery? Like alcohol. I feel like it’s a sin if I drink to alleviate anxiety. But my spouse has zero guilt over drinking ever

1 Like

@SuneXei, these are good questions, and worth asking when in a relationship with someone who may feel differently about something than you.

This is something I have experienced in my life ass well, both personally and professionally:What is sin? Is it absolute in every context, for every person? In short, I’d recommend you turn first to God’s word. Does the bible say it is a sin? If it does, then you have your answer! But the second question I always ask is, if the Bible doesn’t label something a sin explicitly, does the behavior nonetheless become sin becuase of the context?

For me, personally, I deal with behavioral idols in my life. An idol being something that comes between you and God. For you, for example, drinking as an outlet for anxiety may be an idol that tempts you away from the love of God, and is something you should definitely avoid if that is the case. This may not be true for others. The Enemy tailors his attacks based on our own weaknesses. I, for one, try to limit myself to one drink a week, as I know that alcohol is the kind of thing i could easily let come between God and I.

That said, the answer to your first question is a little more, and less, nuanced: is there only one correct path? The short answer is YES, and his name is Jesus of Nazareth. His path, narrow as it is, is the one and only path. Faith in his saving sacrifice is the only way to salvation. Sin is the word we use for those activities that we take part in that are deviations from Gods will fo rour lives.

But sinning DOES NOT cause us to lose God’s grace so long as we place our hope in the love of Christ and his saving power. Comparing sins, or comparing how well you avoid sins versus how poorly someone else does, is a tool of the Enemy to pit us against one another ratherr than loving one another.

Just my 2c.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Fred.

1 Like

@SuneXei

What great questions. Thanks for that and I love @EvoFaith Fred’s response.

I think you have two questions there. I agree with Fred that there are certain things that are very obviously sin as they are denounced or covered in the Bible quite clearly and should be avoided. Also, as Fred mentioned, there are things that, while not bad in and of themselves, might be more tempting to one individual than another and so should be avoided if it interferes with your ability to love and serve the Lord.

One other category that you might think of also, would be that of the ‘weaker/stronger’ brother argument of Pauls in Romans 14 and 15. Here he is trying to get the Jews and Gentiles to be loving and gracious to one another in their understanding of what is proper and not. But in the matters of things that don’t pertain to salvation, like what we should eat or how we should treat special days. My point here is that he says something quite interesting:

Rom 14:14 “I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean.”

Suddenly there is something that is a sin for one person that isn’t for another? Well… yes… because if you think something is a sin (even if you aren’t actually correct) but then knowingly do it anyway, then you are going against your love of the Lord anyway. It’s not the act that was sinful, but the fact that you were ignoring what you thought the Lord wanted for you. Does that make sense? I hope I explained that clearly.

Really speaking it is the essence of all sin; that is, the ignoring of the Lordship of God and carrying on how we want to (even if we’re wrong).

The first part of your question is an interesting one that you could answer in a few different ways. Fred has answered it one way and I think he was totally right. There is only one way and that is the way of Jesus.

Another way to look at it though, if this is what you’re asking… is there only one path that I have to live? Is there a particular career, or spouse, or church or whatever that I have to do/be with/attend? I think the answer to that is ‘no’. I think we have freedom in Jesus to live a life that glorifies him in many varied and different ways. That is one of the beauties of what we know to be true… he created us all different and wonderful each in our own way. The way we live will reflect what and who we are as individuals. Now, as Fred said, we are to live life in Christ and there are things that are good and things that are not… but in the great realm of good that the Lord has created for us, there is a whole spectrum of freedom to choose what we want to do.

If this is where your question lies, then I would recommend the following book:

Guidance and the Voice of God

Book by Phillip D. Jensen

Image result for guidance and the voice of god

I think this is a practical and godly view of thinking about choices we make in our life.

Those are my thoughts. I hope and pray that God gives you and all of us wisdom in living a life that will glorify his name.

2 Likes

In 1 Cor 10:23 Paul tells us that all things are lawful, but not all things edify or build us up. So even though there are things that aren’t bad, that doesn’t necessarily make them good.

also, it’s interesting reason why Christians today find drinking to be a sin. Jesus did it, so why can’t we? In both Ephesians and Proverbs, it tells us not to get drunk as it can lead to debauchery.
Debauchery is too much pleasure in sensual things. Also, in Proverbs, right next to the section about not getting drunk, it tells us not to eat too much as well. Something many Christians today struggle with.

So why don’t we drink? First thing you should know about Jewish history is that the wine they drank is very different from the wine we drink today: it’s been diluted about 12-13 times before it even reaches your cup. Beer, or Vodka, or any other drinks we have today allow us to get drunk very easily, so it’s better to stay away from them altogether.

Next, concerning if sin for one person isn’t sin for another, in 1 Cor 8, Paul tells us about eating food sacrificed to idols, how we can cleanse such food so to speak. And right after that, he tells us that to be careful when exercising our rights, as it can lead other Christians to a fault.

Now here’s an example: I have certain family members that don’t eat Chinese food because they heard that it’s been offered to idols before it’s sold. I don’t agree with that because:

1. you can’t say with 100 percent certainty that every Chinese food restaurant offers food to idols. I’m sure there are Chinese restaurants run by Christians. Plus, I’m also fairly certain most places don’t even sacrifice food whatsoever, regardless of what they believe.

2. what the verse I quoted before says about food being offered to idols.

Now, would it be right for me to put them in a situation where the only thing to eat is Chinese food?

No, it wouldn’t be, because as that chapter says, it can be a stumbling block for other Christians. So if someone finds certain things like this to be a sin, and I don’t and I force them to go against that, then I caused them to err.

1 Like