Gods wrath

Good morning all!

I always had a thought that God set a ‘chosen’ people apart in the OT because He wanted to bring more people to Him.

“Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they will fear you.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭28:10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

This verse and a lot of Deuteronomy pretty much says the apposite. Was the OT times this rough on the human population? Was Gods judging hand seemingly left up ready to smack anyone who was not on His team? I have thoughts but was curious to see what the Holy Spirit speaks through you all.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @jfloyd33. It’s good you have you joining our ranks. If you use the search key up above and put in Old Testament you will find many discussions that address your query. Please do tell us a little about you. Here are some links for you to follow that may be helpful for your faith journey. God-bless you and your journey.

4 Likes

@jfloyd33 Great question :slight_smile: Some thoughts below.

• as we see in the flood and as it says in Daniel, God raises up nations and brings them low - while we do not know the exact workings, God does indeed judge nations
  • God gave the inhabitants of Canaan 4 generations to repent
  • the sin of those in Canaan was terrible even by ancient standards - no other ancient culture burnt infants alive - they were also terribly violent and practiced bestiality
  • Israel would also be judged by God if they behaved like these wicked nations (Deut 28) - God was not singling out this people group, but rather judging them for their evil deeds. In fact, we see God judge Israel in the exile.

Genesis 15:16 - In the fourth generation your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure."

Understanding why God judged Canaan:

• They are the only ancient culture that sacrificed infants
  • They practiced bestiality, incest and were extremely violent
  • They would be a stumbling block to the Israelites, who God intended to use to help heal the world (be salt and light)

Understanding the actual methods and results of the military campaign:

• They generally attacked military targets; not population centers
  • Civilians would normally flee if a large army was headed their way
  • Being “driven out” is mentioned 3x as often as destruction
  • Even after passages say a people was “completely destroyed” we meet them yet again only a little later in the text, which means this language is not absolute
  • The war was not ethnic – individuals such as Rahab were spared and those such as Achan fell under the ban
3 Likes

First thing we have to remember is that among God’s perfect attributes, it is His holiness that is mentioned in the Bible…three times.

He is Holy. And we are sinners… Sinners who desperately need a Savior. If let alone to ourselves, even our greatest of good deeds are tainted with imperfection.

We are not so different from the people who lived in the OT times.

We often think that we deserve to be treated better. But we don’t. We are God’s creation just like a potter creates from the clay. Our lives are totally dependent on Him.

God displayed mercy many times in the OT just the people in Nineveh where He sent Jonah to preach their impending destruction. They repented and God showed mercy.

1 Like

Your question is needed and welcomed as the wrath of God is generally misunderstood as a fear tactic but In truth His wrath is always tempered with mercy of the highest degree. The word fear means respect reverence not scary kind of fear. The understanding may help.

the name Deuteronomy which literally means “ second law ” {aka Moses gives “the law ” for the second time}. The book finishes with a song from Moses after he passes his leadership duties onto Joshua. … the last time Israel was this close to the promised land, they doubted God’s promise and tried to go back to Egypt.

Chapter 28 in context is a list of promises for obedience and curses for disobedience directed to the israelite people. By this time the known world had heard of Gods fame delivering His people. Including His people. He tried to show His true nature of Love and care over time for His creation but very few knew it. They were afraid of Him because they didn’t really know Him. Man has always feared the unknown so we I stayed as far away as possible. Adam, Enoch, Abraham, Noah, Moses, and others once they really knew Him did not fear His wrath.
I know I said a lot hope you see some things you may not have before.
Fellow friend in Christ
Mike

1 Like

I did type up something on the laptop about myself and wonder why it didn’t trannsfer here.