Good Questions

(Claud Arthur Haws Jr) #1

Hi everyone! I wanted to see what good questions you have asked others that have helped you engage in conversation to share your faith. It was really eye-opening when Ravi Zacharias pointed out that in many of Jesus’ dealings with others he asked questions. Thanks for your time!

(Warner Joseph Miller) #2

Hey there, @chaws10!! I’m Warner…one of the moderators, here. Again…WELCOME TO THE CONNECT COMMUNITY!!

Regarding your question, I’ve many times found it fascinating to know why people believe what they believe. Not just because I want to share my faith – although that very often is the ultimate objective. But I find it interesting knowing how they got to where they got to; the thought process and “logic train” or past circumstance, etc that brought them to adhere to a particular worldview, philosophy and/or school of thought. Not only are my own curiosities satisfied, but it also let’s me know a bit about who they are. There’s a seedling of a relationship – albeit a small, infantile one. Now, I’ll confess that sometimes, I’m not looking to engage immediately into a Gospel presentation at that point (although, if the window is opened and the Spirit leads then I go for it!) I genuinely want to know about them…to see them. Generally, people love & want to talk about themselves. Hearing them; intently listening to them share without me going immediately into a Gospel presentation establishes a seedling of trust as well as gives me knowledge and information that helps to engage further with spiritual things, ie Christ and His Gospel, the next time. In a roundabout way, it shows a sincere concern and care for them as opposed to them just being a number or notch on your belt, a quota filled or project to be fixed. As the cliche goes: “People won’t care how much you know until they know how much you care”. So yeah…I ask them about why they believe what they believe (philosophically, religiously, spiritually, etc). Hope that helped, man! Grace & peace✌🏿

(SeanO) #3

Good question about questions @chaws10! We’ve discussed this issue quite a bit on Connect, so I’ll provide some of the previous conversations/resources below. What further thoughts about questions do these articles/resources spark in your mind?

Here are some thoughts shared by @CarsonWeitnauer on this topic - he posted some info on types of questions:

Clarifying questions help us better understand what has been said. In many conversations, people speak past one another. Asking clarifying questions can help uncover the real intent behind what is said. These help us understand each other better and lead us toward relevant follow-up questions. “Can you tell me more?” and “Why do you say so?” both fall into this category. People often don’t ask these questions, because they tend to make assumptions and complete any missing parts themselves.

Adjoining questions are used to explore related aspects of the problem that are ignored in the conversation. Questions such as, “How would this concept apply in a different context?” or “What are the related uses of this technology?” fall into this category. For example, asking “How would these insights apply in Canada?” during a discussion on customer life-time value in the U.S. can open a useful discussion on behavioral differences between customers in the U.S. and Canada. Our laser-like focus on immediate tasks often inhibits our asking more of these exploratory questions, but taking time to ask them can help us gain a broader understanding of something.

Funneling questions are used to dive deeper. We ask these to understand how an answer was derived, to challenge assumptions, and to understand the root causes of problems. Examples include: “How did you do the analysis?” and “Why did you not include this step?” Funneling can naturally follow the design of an organization and its offerings, such as, “Can we take this analysis of outdoor products and drive it down to a certain brand of lawn furniture?” Most analytical teams – especially those embedded in business operations – do an excellent job of using these questions.

Elevating questions raise broader issues and highlight the bigger picture. They help you zoom out. Being too immersed in an immediate problem makes it harder to see the overall context behind it. So you can ask, “Taking a step back, what are the larger issues?” or “Are we even addressing the right question?” For example, a discussion on issues like margin decline and decreasing customer satisfaction could turn into a broader discussion of corporate strategy with an elevating question: “Instead of talking about these issues separately, what are the larger trends we should be concerned about? How do they all tie together?” These questions take us to a higher playing field where we can better see connections between individual problems.

(Kim O.) #4

WarenrMiller I love this: “Why people believe what they believe.” It’s like unraveling a spool of thread. And if you have an opportunity to really get to know someone, it’s interesting to zero in on where the lies pop up. Which appear as truth.
Thanks for your comment
Kim